Help! I'm burned out and I don't know if I can make it through the rest of year.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BurnedOutTeacher, May 3, 2017.

1. BurnedOutTeacher

BurnedOutTeacher Rookie

May 3, 2017

So this is my situation. I am a second year teacher teaching middle school history coaching middle school football. I have tried and tried to stay at this school and finish the year out, but stuff keeps piling up. I have taken middle school math praxis and am taking the algebra 1 praxis. I live quite a ways away from the school and the commute on top of expectations is killing me. I am trying to find a job closer to home, but haven't had any big bites.
    All the job responsibilities are wearing me down, and doing good just to get by. Everybody knows I am miserable, and I have had countless people come up to me and say that they are worried about me.
    Yesterday, I cried the whole way home(long time) praying to god to put me somewhere else. I don't feel comfortable talking to my principal or vice principal about it because I don't trust them. They told me that I may not have a coaching position next year.
    How do I finish out the year?

3. Committed2DaProfession

Committed2DaProfession Rookie

May 3, 2017

I am in a similar situation. The key is to purge any and all negativity from your thinking and take it ONE DAY AT A TIME. Trust me. This works.

4. BurnedOutTeacher

BurnedOutTeacher Rookie

May 3, 2017

That is a hard thing to do.. to get rid of negativity. Especially when I am surrounded by it. The other teachers on my hallway are always bitching.

5. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

May 3, 2017

I'm burnt out and tired too. Its been a tough year and im glad its winding down. I too am trying to figure out what I want to do and leaving it in God's hands. I agree with the other comments, take one day at a time. Plan out your days in what needs to be done. If you don't have to do it right away dont. Make time for yourself as well, hang out, get a drink or two, watch a movie, something that doesnt make you think about work. If there is at least two days or more a week where you can leave early based on your contract hours then leave.

Southern JC likes this.
  6. BurnedOutTeacher

BurnedOutTeacher Rookie

May 3, 2017

Thank you! I have got sick days left, and plan on using them. I am studying right now trying to soak in as much as possible for my algebra praxis. I have a potential job with a school closer to home. That has been my motivation for the past couple weeks.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

May 3, 2017

I resigned and then just used all my personal days at the end. After spring break we didn't have any days off until the last day so I took a week off. It helped.

8. BurnedOutTeacher

BurnedOutTeacher Rookie

May 3, 2017

See I signed up for my pay to be spread out over 12 months. And if I resigned, what would happen to those other months during the summer?

9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

May 3, 2017

You'll still get paid as long as you work until the end of your contract. What they did was take a little from each paycheck during the SY and will give you a "lump sum" check to spend over the summer. Or you'll continue to just get your pay as you normally would until the pay for the school year ends. But as long as you work your contract for the current school year you'll be paid.

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 3, 2017

From the sounds of it, they may be doing (or at least think they are doing) you a favor by taking the coaching off your shoulders.

11. BurnedOutTeacher

BurnedOutTeacher Rookie

May 3, 2017

Well I would thrive as teacher without being a coach, but I will miss it! We had no chance. We lost 2 coaches, and the person they brought in was about to retire.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Phenom

May 3, 2017

Not sure how many days you have left, but this is the time of year where you suck it up and just grind it out one day at a time. As a coach, you should live what I have heard every coach say at some point to their players - finish strong. Lead by example and refuse to become the victim. This is your job at this time and place. Not everyone loves their job, but most teachers think of how their exit would affect those they leave behind.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  13. BurnedOutTeacher

BurnedOutTeacher Rookie

May 3, 2017

Yeah you're right! Good point! This is the hardest thing I have done though controlling my emotions. I have masked the way I feel as best as possible, and it still shows. I have lost all enthusiasm, and I can't find it. The only time I enjoy at the school is when I'm with the kids(the good ones). I will try to limit the encounters with my coworkers and administration. I just hope I don't lose it again, just like I did yesterday!

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Phenom

May 3, 2017

If you think your emotions are hard to control, imagine the teachers who have been let go, but have to finish the year as if nothing is wrong. THAT is hard, but my advice would be the same. Keep your emotions in check, try to find something that helps you let off steam. I used to go to the batting cages and slam balls, just to feel successful and get rid of negative feelings years ago. Maybe something along those lines would help.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 4, 2017

- Focus on your students, don't talk to other teachers or admin unless you really have to. This will cut out negativity and drama
    - do your job as best as you can. Plan ahead at least a week or more, don't stress out. Plan your lessons where you can do some things during class time. For example there is nothing wrong with assigning students the reading to be done on their own, answer questions and then you go over everything at the end. This can give you 30-40 minutes every class period to grade and plan.
    - take care of yourself. Go out, spend time with your friends and family, or just alone if that helps. Take some days off, they can really make a difference.
    - we have very little time left, try to tough it out

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  16. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Companion

May 4, 2017

You have a lot on your plate. That's generating a lot of your stress.

As much as I hate this country and what it has done to education, and despite the fact that I regularly tell young people not to go into teaching in the first place, I do not recommend you just quit right now. It's a few weeks before the end of your year, correct? Don't just quit, not unless you've already lined up a good job outside education and never want to teach again—at least not in your current region.

Some of the interest from other districts you are searching for will not be expressed until late in the summer. I would not give up hope just yet.

That said, you may want to begin looking outside education. You probably want to look for something closer to home, or something that pays well enough to compensate for a commute.

Just don't quit this close to the finish line. Don't let the bastards win.

17. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 4, 2017

"nolite te bastardes carborundorum"

I just watched this episode of "The Handmaid's Tale" last night. This reminded me of that. Haha.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

May 4, 2017

Vickilyn, you are a wise lady! I always "like" your responses/comments/posts because I really have nothing else to add, but I really wanted to tell you that I love your outlook on teaching and life in general.

MrsC, AmyMyNamey and vickilyn like this.
  19. BurnedOutTeacher

BurnedOutTeacher Rookie

May 5, 2017

Thanks guys. I won't quit, and I'm not gonna let the bastards grind me down.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  20. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

May 5, 2017

In addition, have you considered seeing a therapist and maybe getting some medication to handle a little bit of your depression?

21. BurnedOutTeacher

BurnedOutTeacher Rookie

May 5, 2017

No I have not. Good idea, Thanks! I just been trying to be the tough guy, and deal with it. Probably the wrong approach.