Help! FTCE Prek-3rd Math section

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by redrose32, Sep 6, 2014.

1. redrose32

redrose32 Rookie

Sep 6, 2014

Hi,
    I need help passing the FTCE Prek-3rd Math section. I got 192/200 points. Does anyone have any advice?:dizzy:

Thanks

Condoittere likes this.
  3. teach4USA

teach4USA Rookie

Oct 6, 2014

Sent you a PM.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 6, 2014

Sorry I missed this, redrose32. Does your score report spell out domains in math that are giving you grief, or do you have some sense of specific areas with which you need help?

5. teach4USA

teach4USA Rookie

Oct 8, 2014

Taking math tomorrow, I will let you know the most useful topics to study since you are only points away. Khan Academy is great to explain any weak areas you have. But I think simply reviewing past concepts is your best bet yet. I didn't find XAMonline book to be helpful at all. Just studying the competencies (my strategy) and doing my own Google research coupled with prior math background hopefully will do it. Let's see what 4 days of cramming gets me. lol

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 8, 2014

That's the approach I like, teach4USA. Good hunting to you!

7. teach4USA

teach4USA Rookie

Oct 11, 2014

As I mentioned in a PM to you, the MATH came back "not passed", sucks, but really doesn't seem as if it is something I cannot get through second time around. Not worry at all. Heck, 4 !/2 hrs...tires you out. Wished it was first test, not third!!!

Decided to post on board (not just PM) to help others taking Prek-3rd (dont want to be selfish and take and not give back/ great website!!!).

My comments after Prek-3rd: The Developmental and LA/Reading I ran through without looking at all the choices. that's how confident I was. Passed both tests easily (this is my field anyway). However, if I had not had teaching background, it could really be a challenge to some. So anyone needing help in these two sections, I can offer advice there.

Science, I didn't study like I did for Developmental and LA/Reading. I winged it there but its not hard, just need to know the basics and apply to teaching senarios (key). CliffNotes (the best ever!!!) or XAMonline (so so/but helps).
    The science section really goes by what is actaully in the study prep guides. No trickery.

Now the math (calculators not allowed/lol)...not needed but wished I had when I came to those fractions/equivalents (which they mixed an additional skill into that skill to make more complex). I know basic math plus algebra/equations (not one on test I saw), etc...so I was shocked. I NOW SEE their approach on this new test....THEY COMBINED AT LEAST TWO SKILLS WITHIN A SKILL..SO BE READY TO USE CRITICAL THINKING/STUDY THAT WAY IN YOUR PRACTICE. Ask yourself, how many different approaches this skill can be thrown at me. I ran out of time by the time I understood the format (not supplied n study preps!!!).

Hope this helps others (CLIFFNOTES...HANDS DOWN THE BEST)!!! Just remember to apply the skills from CLIFFNOTES to actual teaching setting senarios (apply to real world). If you are studying with a LITERAL mindeset, you will be lost and loose time.... make APPLICATION of the skill.

Test well! Just never give up! It's the money FLDOE wants and Pearson gets their cut every time we fail..don't let the system stop you.

MsJessicaRamirez likes this.
  8. redrose32

redrose32 Rookie

Oct 13, 2014

Thanks for all your advice.

9. redrose32

redrose32 Rookie

Oct 13, 2014

TeacherGroupie,
    Yes, competency 1 and 5. Don't really know how to study for competency 1. I only study from the xamoline book.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 13, 2014

Competency 1 in math is "Knowledge of effective mathematics instruction". Look online for Florida's content standards in math: whether or not the content standards are Common Core, they should list grade spans at which various math concepts are expected to be taught, and the chances are pretty good that FLDOE also has Web pages devoted to the teaching of math in elementary school. You could also Google for math lesson plans for grades Pre-K, K, 1, 2, and 3 - do each grade separately.

Since you're using the xamonline book, use it as a source of terms to look up. That should work for Competency 5 as well.

11. redrose32

redrose32 Rookie

Oct 16, 2014

Finally passed! You were right the common core helped a lot along with the xamoline book and other math websites.

Thanks

12. Mzhollywood

Mzhollywood Rookie

Apr 8, 2015

Advice

Good afternnon, I am attempting a career change and have decided to take the FTCE for Prek-3RD any and all good advice is welcomed!

How should I study?

How long should I study?

I am from a non education background. And I am very interested in teaching. I have purchased the FTCE Secret Study Guide since it was the only recent on that has been updated Mar 2014

Thank you everyone

Condoittere likes this.
  13. wjs14

wjs14 New Member

Apr 25, 2015

Prek-3rd Help ASAP!!

I am also looking for advice on the prek- 3rd Test (FTCE). Any help is appreciated!! I have to pass by June 30th!

14. wjs14

wjs14 New Member

Apr 25, 2015

LA & Development

These are the 2 sections I am worried about the most. Can someone please help me??

As I mentioned, I have to pass by June 30th!

15. msanc

msanc New Member

Jun 22, 2015

Pre-K - 3rd Test HELP!

I took my exam on Friday. I only studied for the development and language arts part. But.. I passed only the development and science.

What did you use to help you study for the Language Arts/Math?

I need help!

I need to pass the exam next time I take it. :help:

16. msanc

msanc New Member

Jun 22, 2015

For the development section of the exam, I would say know your people. I used the FTCE Prekindergarten/Primary Pk-3
    Wynne, Sharon A. to study.

17. msanc

msanc New Member

Jun 22, 2015

I can not find a cliff notes book for the Pre-K -3 exam. Do you know where I can buy one?

18. Panayotti2003

Panayotti2003 New Member

Aug 31, 2015

Let's form a study group in Apopka FL

Hello My name is Patricia Career change and looking for a study group in Orlando Area

I've taken the test twice and I am planning on taken it again would love to form a study group where we can meet twice a week and pick each brains just so we can get that edge we need to pass this test. if you're interested email me @ panayotti2003@yahoo.com.

19. mathdad

mathdad Rookie

Oct 21, 2015

If you need help with math questions, post your questions in this forum.

20. Iris85

Iris85 New Member

Mar 9, 2016

Hi not sure if you will be able to see this but I was wondering if you can tell me what you used to pass the LA and Math? I have taken this test 3 times and still can't pass it!!!

21. Heath86

Heath86 New Member

May 16, 2016

Any suggestions on what to study for Science and Developmental Knowledge?