Help! Christmas Concert Ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Doublescoop, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Nov 15, 2007

My grade one class and the kindergartens are to do some sort of presentation at the Christmas concert this year but I am drawing a blank! We can do songs, fingerplays, a short skit or play, anything but I can't think of anything. There will be about 40-45 kids combined. C'mon teachers! What ideas have worked well for you in the past?

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 15, 2007

Should it be Christmas-related, or more of a "Winter" theme?

We did a REALLY cute version of The Mitten last year with our preschoolers, but I know older kids would enjoy it even more... let me know if you want details :)

4. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Nov 16, 2007

I teach in a Christian school but we could still do that. Yes! I'd love to know the details!

5. SunshinyDay

SunshinyDay New Member

Nov 16, 2007

Hey DoubleScoop-

I worked at a private Kindergarten the past 8 years and we have always re-enacted the Nativity Story. We had 68 Pre-K and K students in the program last year and it has always been a hit. There were five teachers and one resource teacher that helped us with the program.

The script we used was very basic, most was read aloud by a teacher while the children acted out their parts. They loved creating simple costumes and it helped cement concepts taught as part of our core Christian curriculum. I can send you more details if you are interested!

Happy Holidays!:)

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 16, 2007

Tune is Farmer in the Dell.

Them mitten in the snow,
    The mitten in the snow
    Help us please, so we won't freeze
    The mitten in the snow.

The ___ squeezes in,
    The ___ squeezes in,
    Help us please so we won't freeze
    The mitten in the snow

(repeat in order until all animals are inside the "mitten")

Then...

The mouse says Achoo!
    The mouse says Achoo!
    All the animals fly out
    of the mitten in the snow.

We did this with our 2's through 5's... each class picked 1-2 kids to be one of the animals, and when it was their turn, the kid playing that animal hid behind a table on its side that had a big drawing of a mitten on it. All the rest of the kids sang the verses... several of us teachers were down front prompting which animal to do next ;)

7. jtfinch

jtfinch New Member

Nov 27, 2007

I teach grades kindergarten to grade 2. I do not really enjoy the christmas concert thing. your idea sounds good. could i get the instructions. thanks

8. lehcar1021

lehcar1021 Rookie

Nov 27, 2007

I teach 3rd grade and we have to prepare something for our holiday assembly. My kids don't really want to sing, some of them want to dance but I certainly wouldn't know what or how to teach them a dance. I like the mitten idea, but it seems much more appropriate for younger grades. My kids were thinking of something like a song on a cd, some could sing, some could dance... ah, I'm stuck!

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 27, 2007

Since you are at a Christian school it is neat to do the Christian theme of Christmas. I am also at a Christian school and I am so thankful that we are actually allowed to DO a Christmas program!

It is always just wonderful to have the kids sing a couple of Christmas songs. I have found CDs to accompany them at Wal Mart, or you can order them from some online places if you want music backup. It does sound ok to have singing on the CD backing them up if that is all you can find.

This year my group is singing Go Tell It on the Mountain, and we have a couple of hand motions the kids made up - when it comes to the part "over the hills" a couple of my girls used a Supremes like movement, and it was so cute!
    I have always wanted to do My Two Front Teeth because so many of my kids are missing teeth. That would be really cute to add in!

Easiest is to go look for a CD you can use for backup, then go from there. Sometimes I have had my kids wear gold or silver or red garland like a little wreath on their heads. They just always look adorable and it is so sweet to hear them singing the traditional Christmas songs. Last year I found a kids CD with a Reggae theme and they sang a song called "Mary's Boy Child." It was wonderful. Keep it simple and have fun.

10. grafco

grafco New Member

Nov 24, 2009

Thanks..any more ideas???

Hello, I`m in Sarnia Ontario and in almost an identical situation.. I`m not very good with costumes, and the Mitten idea sounds like it needs a lot of costuming. I hate to bother you, but friends have let me down a bit...and shoved me into this situation isth no time to order anything by mail. Any other ideas out there for Gr. 1-2 Christmas concert?

É

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 24, 2009

I did "Two Front Teeth" last year, and it was adorable! Most of my darlings were missing at least a tooth or two, so I let them be in the front row, and grin at the end.

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 24, 2009

I am not very happy with Christmas plays, etc. But I adapted one for my day care kids. Every kid can participate in this. Our pastor, anyone could do this, had a pile of presents in front of her. She chose a child to help her open each one. Inside were the pieces of the nativitiy scene. She told the story of Jesus' birth as they opened the boxes. Very little presure on the kids, all they had to do was look cute, and presents created a natural excitement.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2009

How about a "Letters" theme?

You could include quotes from their letters to Santa, have some strong readers read "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus" maybe throw in a chorus of Santa Darling, sing other sings about what they want for Christmas.

This may help:http://www.links2love.com/christmas_songs.htm

14. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 24, 2009

When we did Mitten, there was VERY little in the way of costuming, actually, I think just some hats. You could even jsut do a picture of the animal printed off the computer and pin it on shirts or onto a headband.

The parents, from what I've seen, don't actually care WHAT you do, as long as they get to see their kid (and yes, that includes when the kids totally freak out, they seem to be OK with it for some reason...).

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 24, 2009

that is really adorable! :)

16. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Nov 26, 2009

I teach second graders and we are rehearsing the play called "Christmas around the world", I googled and I found it!!!!!

children LOVE rehearsing and this is great!!!! they know their lines by heart and they improve everyday,
    Hope you find something funny to motivate your students!

17. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Nov 26, 2009

Here are a few ideas we've done:

*sang "The Little Drummer Boy" with a couple of kids playing drums in front of the rest of the group

*sang "Silent Night"

*sang "All I Want for Christmas (Is My 2 Front Teeth)"

*sang Raffi's version of "There Was a Little Baby"

*this year, we're singing "Go Tell it on the Mountain" and doing "The Reindeer Pokey" - the kids will wear those headband antlers that you can buy this time of year (we found them 2 for a dollar at Dollar Tree)

18. rats1983

rats1983 New Member

Oct 20, 2010

help please

I would love more details on this if you are willing to share??my email becks_8325@hotmail.com. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

19. cathymsings

cathymsings New Member

Oct 1, 2011

The Mitten

May I please take you up on the version of The Mitten that you did?
    Thanks so much!!!

20. Lara@tradeunltd

Lara@tradeunltd New Member

Sep 18, 2012

Hi, am also doing a Christmas concert. Your idea sounds good, could you send me the details please.

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 18, 2012

Yikes, this post is from when I was in college...Five years ago!