Hello 6th grade teachers!

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by Mrs.Gould, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

I'm going to have to reading the Love and Logic book now that a few people have recommended it! Thanks!

2. nothermanda

nothermanda Companion

Jul 25, 2007

You don't happen to know Dennis and Marty, do you?

You'll be pleasantly surprised by the increase in maturity from 7th to 8th grade. Don't let yourself fall back into your old "scripts," and try to connect with those students who try to make your life difficult. Focus on the goals in your classroom - behavior issues tend to crop up if the kids are bored. Also, check out the Habits of Mind...

3. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Jul 25, 2007

I will be teaching sixth grade life science this year, looks like I'll have five periods...perhaps six.

Nice that we have our own little spot on the forum now too!!!

4. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

My two science classes are also life science. This is my first year teaching science. How many years have you taught it?

5. FutureFLTeacher

Jul 25, 2007

This will be my first year as well!!!! We can brave through it together! ;)

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2007

My 6th grade curriculum is earth and space science.

7. bryanmj

bryanmj Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

I'm teaching 6th grade LD this fall. It is my first FTE position and I'm really looking forward to it. I'll be teaching pull-out math and reading and then co-teaching with the gen. ed. teachers. I'm glad we have grade level threads. It will be nice to talk to each other.

8. FutureFLTeacher

Jul 27, 2007

Preplanning for us begins on August 13th and the kids come back on August 20th....where did the summer go to? :confused: LOL

9. tiredteacher29

tiredteacher29 Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

We have training August 16 & 17, LID days begin on the 23rd and kids start the 28th. What happened to my summer?

10. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jul 28, 2007

Hi everyone! I'm considering this my first year teaching 6th grade, although I did teach a 5/6 combo last year. My class is self-contained and I love them! It is a great change from last year.

11. mommee03

mommee03 Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I will be teaching 6th grade Math and 7th grade math enrichment. This will be my second year.

12. 6ertchr

6ertchr Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

Hello!

This will be my first year teaching 6th grade after 6 years of teaching 2nd grade. Our school is transitioning from a K-5 to a K-6 school, so I volunteered to change grade-levels. I'm very excited!:D

13. WorldTraveler

WorldTraveler Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I'll be starting my first teaching job in September. Ill teach 6th grade LA...I'm signing my contract on Wednesday! Any tips?

14. savedbug

savedbug Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

Be consistent! This will save you from making decisions on emotions alone.

15. nbteacher

nbteacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I'm new to the boards, and new to sixth grade. I've taught 4th grade for many years, and before that I taught reading. I am looking forward to learning and sharing ideas with all of you!

16. AHB

AHB Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I will be teaching 6th grade language arts and reading this year and hopefully several years after this. It'll be my 7th year of teaching and with only two years of 6th grade language arts under my belt, I can't say that I remember this age being particularly difficult. Now I had an interesting year last year with 5th graders. I taught all subjects, not that that makes a difference, but a child took a needle (a safety pin) and stuck other children with it while they were all at lunch. That conference was more sad than the incident itself. The mother was a nurse! But, anyway, I am excited to be in 6th again. I too will have 90min blocks. I don't know how the schedule works yet since I am starting at a new school this year.

17. logicrules

logicrules Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Hi, guys...this will be my first year teaching 6th grade ELA and Reading in a new district. I taught last year but in special education (very low ELA special ed resource but 7/8th grade). I was the inclusion SPED teacher last year in an 8th grade ELA class and learned a lot. I'm excited about teaching in the gen. ed setting this year but I know there's a ton I need to learn. For starters the 'lingo.' I'm familiar with the term 'self-contained' as it pertains to special education (where spec. ed students remain with specific teachers in one classroom setting most of the school day). Does it mean the same thing in ELA 6th grade? And what is meant by 'departmentalized' teaching? I hope you don't mind the questions - but sometimes it's the little things that matter, especially when you're new.

I do look forward to leaning on you guys a lot this year. This is only my second year teaching and I'm alt. certified. My background, however, is communications (former journalist) so this area is one I feel rather comfortable in. However, I know journalism and English/LA is quite different in structure. Brushing up on "dependent and independent" clauses for one thing! <smile> among other terms...

18. logicrules

logicrules Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

MrsMcD said: "I read a really cute idea the other day for a 'getting to know you' activity. It being my 1st year teaching at this new school, I don't think I'm brave enough to try it (maybe next year).

The activity was:

Have each student write their name and 3 facts about themself on a plain white piece of paper.

Have students crumble up their papers into individual "snow balls"

Allow 1 minute for students to have a "snowball fight".

At the end of 1 minute stop students and tell them to pick up the snowball closest to them.

Each student introduces the student whose snowball they picked up.

While it seems like a really cute idea, I'd be a little nervous letting kids have that much leeway on the 1st day with a teacher they've never met!"

I love this idea, Mrs.McD! But, like you, with classes of kids I've never met before and classroom management a top priority I'd be a bit nervous letting them 'cut loose' on this, too. I immediately thought of a 'work-around.' What about the teacher holding a wastebasket or basket and having each student toss the crumpled up 'snowballs' into the basket (this prevents them from hitting each OTHER with them). Once all of them have been tossed inside the basket each student can walk up (or teacher can go desk to desk) and have each student choose a 'snowball' that they will read/introduce. This could be done using colored construction paper so each student will know NOT to choose a color they wrote on. What do you guys think? Would this still be fun for the kids to do without any 'injuries' to report home about?

19. MrsR.

MrsR. New Member

Aug 1, 2007

I am a new teacher starting my first job as a 6th grade teacher in an international school. The classroom is self-contained and small. I will have about 12 students! During my student teaching I taught 2nd and 4th grade, so I feel completely lost in planning the school year. I am excited about actually teaching and now having a place to share and gain ideas. Any advice is welcomed!

20. MrsMcD

MrsMcD Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

I love this idea, Mrs.McD! But, like you, with classes of kids I've never met before and classroom management a top priority I'd be a bit nervous letting them 'cut loose' on this, too. I immediately thought of a 'work-around.' What about the teacher holding a wastebasket or basket and having each student toss the crumpled up 'snowballs' into the basket (this prevents them from hitting each OTHER with them). Once all of them have been tossed inside the basket each student can walk up (or teacher can go desk to desk) and have each student choose a 'snowball' that they will read/introduce. This could be done using colored construction paper so each student will know NOT to choose a color they wrote on. What do you guys think? Would this still be fun for the kids to do without any 'injuries' to report home about?[/QUOTE]

I think that modification would work really well. I'm going to see how the kids are in the school, and maybe give the actual snowball fight a try next year. I'll be teaching the 5th graders for 2 periods each day, so I'll have a good sense of whether they could handle such a 'sillly' activity or not. I hope it works out, I think kids would really enjoy it! If not - your modification is a *wonderful* suggestion!!