Hello 6th grade teachers!

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by Mrs.Gould, Jul 24, 2007.

1. bigcat

bigcat Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

I'm a 3rd year teacher.....this is my 1st year in 6th grade. I'll be teaching English and Reading in a 55 min. block.....4 blocks. Not sure how I'll get everything in...just make sure I cover all the standards....my new school is very small. Anyway...I'm off to my 1st day of in-service this am.....wish me luck. It's nice that we have our own 6th grade thread. I'm sure I'll need you guys.

2. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

I've never heard of it. What is it like?

3. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Good luck with your inservice!

It seems that a lot of us are teaching English/Language Arts/Reading blocks. It will definitely be nice to bounce ideas off each other. Are you doing readers and/or writer's workshop? We are just starting Reading Workshop this year based on Fountas and Pinnell's books Guiding Readers and Writers. I guess we'll be focusing on the writing next year, so I have to squeeze in writing somehow this year because it's an important aspect of our state test!

4. tiredteacher29

tiredteacher29 Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

I haven't had training on it yet, but basically when a student makes a bad choice they get put on steps. Step 1 they sit in a chair facing away from the class, step 2 they stand facing the wall, etc. Those are the two things I don't like about it, as well as the fact that I've heard that students have the option to opt out of learning. Apparently this is so learning becomes a privilege? Sorry,but I don't give kids the option to opt out of learning, ever. :huh:

5. nicknbeccarock

nicknbeccarock Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

social studies here!

I am in my fourth year teaching 6th grade in some way. 2 years alternative education, last year in a team on the block system , this year a different team with 42 minutes. Our teams are tracked so last year I had the really high and really low readers. This year I will have the middle and ELL. I also student taught 6th, and I love this age group. You can watch them change as the year progresses.

6. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 25, 2007

How long have you taught 6th grade? I have taught 35 (?) years, the last 20 in Middle School.

Are you self-contained or departmentalized? Self-Contained in the AM and departmentalized in the PM

What subject/subjects do you teach? 6th - Lit, Lang. Arts, Religion, World Cultures; 5th - Lit, Lang Arts, Religion, Hisory; 7th - World Cultures, and 8th History

7. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Hmm.. not sure I like that either. Especially for 6th grade with the steps. I agree with you about not giving kids the option to opt out of learning. Kids don't know how crucial learning is to them and if given a choice, some probably would choose not to!

8. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 25, 2007

For years I used the step method. Most step methods involve a warning. The problem with that is that it gives the students permission to act out once without any consequences attached.

Fortunately, I have a "look" that could kill :lol: (35+ years will do that), but what works best is Love and Logic We went school wide two years ago after going through the training. It has worked very well, does not involve overt humiliation (face it, anything you do can be construed as humiliating), buts the responsibility on the student - including how to solve the problem.

And yes - consistency is the key no matter which program you use.

9. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Thanks for sharing that! I just ordered the book "Tools for Teaching" by Fred Jones. I heard it's great. There's also something about the "look" in there. :)

Is there a book for Love and Logic? I'll have to check it out. I also totally agree with you when you say consistency is the key! The minute you step away from the system that you use, kids will pounce on you - especially those smart little 6th graders!:rolleyes:

10. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 25, 2007

11. happyteacher

happyteacher Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

Hi. I'm a 2nd yr teacher. Last year I taught a departmentalized 6th grade class, this year, it's a self contained--and only just 1 class. The bad thing is I have 33 students!!! I enjoy a good challenge so I guess that's what I've got!

I'm trying to get motivated to get into the school and get some work done. I am just enjoying being home with my kids and playing so much this summer! School is fast approaching so I'd better get motivated soon!

12. savedbug

savedbug Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

Hi All,
    Im new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I'm from the Bay Area living in San Francisco and teaching in Oakland. I work for a small charter school and will be teaching 6th, and 8th grade. Each class will be 100 minutes and divided between language arts and history. This is my second year of teaching and I am so excited the first year is behind me. Although, I have one year behind me I am still very nervous. Last year was very challenging for me both with classroom management and teaching English (Im a history person). I am very excited about this forum. I have been a reader of this forum for sometime but finally decided to join.

Advice needed: I am very nervous about teaching my 8th grade class. I taught them last year as 7th graders and they made my life very difficult. I know that I am stronger, wiser and more prepared to deal with behavior issues. However, I am afraid that they are going to be able to make me crack the first week because they are aware of my weaknesses. Any Advice on how to deal with these group of kids?

13. Veteran Teacher

Veteran Teacher Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

Hi Everyone!

I will also be teaching 6th grade this year. I have been teaching for 8 years and have previously taught both 4th and 5th grades, but this will be my first year in 6th. I teach in a small school, only me and one other 6th, so I will have a lot of the same students this year as I did last year. Having taught 5th for the past 6 years I am excited for the change, but not looking forward to having to learn the new curriculum and all that!
    I will be teaching Spelling and Social Studies to the whole 6th grade and Reading and English to my homeroom only.
    I love that we have our own space on the message boards now. I am interested in everyone's thoughts and ideas!

14. savedbug

savedbug Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

There seems to be a lot of experienced 6th grade teachers on this forum. I would love if we could start sharing ideas for the first week of school. New creative ideas on getting students to know eachother, on understanding class procedures and expectations. In addition, what ideas do you have for students that you taught before?

15. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Welcome to the new forum members! I'm so glad you're here and especially that you're 6th grade teachers! :)

When does everyone start back to school? My first day is Sept. 4th and the kids come the 5th.

Savedbug - My suggestion to you with your 8th grade class is to make sure you have a set behavior plan from day 1 and enforce it right away. They might try to have fun with you because they know you but act as if they are a completely new class. You'll really have to enforce your rules for the first few weeks, then they should get the hang of it and hopefully not walk all over you!

16. MrsMcD

MrsMcD Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

I read a really cute idea the other day for a 'getting to know you' activity. It being my 1st year teaching at this new school, I don't think I'm brave enough to try it (maybe next year).

The activity was:

Have each student write their name and 3 facts about themself on a plain white piece of paper.

Have students crumble up their papers into individual "snow balls"

Allow 1 minute for students to have a "snowball fight".

At the end of 1 minute stop students and tell them to pick up the snowball closest to them.

Each student introduces the student whose snowball they picked up.

While it seems like a really cute idea, I'd be a little nervous letting kids have that much leeway on the 1st day with a teacher they've never met! ;)

17. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

I teach 6th grade Social Studies (World Cultures and Geography) in a departmentalized setting. I will have six classes and a total of about 165 students. I used to teach Language Arts but have loved the switch to SS for the last four years. I have also taught 8th,
    2nd and 5th in my 22 year career. I love middle school.

18. cjven

cjven Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

This is my first year teaching 6th grade and my second year teaching. I teach 6,7, and 8 social studies and literature. I teach six 45 minute periods and have each group twice, one for social studies and one for literature. It is a small school with only about 25 kids per class.

19. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 25, 2007

20. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Hi,
    I've taught 6th grade for about 4 years (I've been teaching for about 7 years, I took 2 maternity leaves...and I taught 2nd grade for my first year... It's very fuzzy math!)

I love it. We are self-contained, which is absolutely wonderful, but we teach in partner teams, so we have the option of doing some mini teaming, if we want to.

This is awesome to "meet" so many other 6th grade teachers.

BTW, I love the book teaching with Love and Logic. I think it's time to reread it, or at least those links from above.

I use some of "The First 6 weeks of school" and other responsive classroom ideas for my beginning of the school year stuff.