Hello 6th grade teachers!

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by Mrs.Gould, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

It's neat that we now have our "own" board! :) I've seen a few 6th grade teachers on the board, but now it's time to let everyone know you're here!

How long have you taught 6th grade?
    Are you self-contained or departmentalized?
    What subject/subjects do you teach?

I'll start:p

I taught 6th grade English in a departmentalized setting two years ago for a year. I had 5 classes and LOVED everyone of them. I could easily say this was my dream job. Unfortunately enrollment declined and I was let go. Luckily I was hired in June by another district, again, for 6th grade. This school is more self-contained. I will be teaching an ELA block (90 min), math (55 min), and two science classes (40 min each). I'm really excited to get started in September!

3. newkteacher

newkteacher Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Hi,

I am brand new to the 6th grade, former k teacher. I will be teaching 3 different classes for language arts for a 90 minute block each.

4. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

I would LOVE to teach only ELA, but I'm excited about trying out science too! Good luck this year. I think you'll really enjoy 6th grade! I did a LTS in Kindergarten before I hired for 6th so I know what a big leap it is.

5. newkteacher

newkteacher Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Mrs. G, I am so exicted. Reading and writing are 2 of my passions, I hope this transcends to the students a little bit.:)

6. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

Same with me! I was actually asked that question in an interview once, "How will you use your love of reading to inspire students?"

7. tiredteacher29

tiredteacher29 Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

This will be my first year teaching sixth grade and my eighth year teaching. I will be teaching a 90 minute reading block, everyone does, and social studies and language arts blocks. I work with a team teacher so we will trade kids once a day and only have 60 kids between us. I'm very excited, but very nervous! I had my first school nightmare yesterday. :woot:

I too am excited about this board b/c I have a lot of questions to ask!

8. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

I also work with a team teacher, except she teaches social studies and I teach science. So far we only have 20 kids each and one of mine might be retained in 5th grade.

9. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jul 24, 2007

This will be my first year teaching . . . and I'll be teaching math. I have 4 classes of "regular" math and 1 period of recovery math. I'm looking forward to it. I did my student teaching at the other Middle School in our town, in a very team oriented setting. My team used a block schedule and it was amazing. I know I won't be using a block schedule at this school and have been told the school I'm at operates under a totally different philosophy that where I student taught. Should be interesting to learn the changes. My only frustration is not getting to meet and work with other teachers until two days before school starts! Aauugghh! Nice to meet you all . . . I'm glad there is a board we can come to for questions!

10. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

It is my second year being a paid teacher, my third over all (year long student teaching, I did a lot on my own) and I will have one section of 6th graders next year......just one. NEver had them before, but my daughter was a 6th grader last year and my son will be this year.......little people scare me! :D

11. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

This will be my 2nd year back (after being a SAHM) to 6th grade. Last year I taught 1 section of language arts and 3 sections of science. This year I will have 4 sections of science for 60 minutes each.

12. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

This is my first year in sixth grade. I taught second and third in a different school corporation. I will teach a two hour english/language arts block and three math classes.

13. nothermanda

nothermanda Companion

Jul 24, 2007

I'm teaching 6th for the first time. I had 8th last year, and 7th the 2 previous years.

I'm in a department setting on a block schedule, so I teach three 110-minute sections of Language Arts and one 110-min. section of Science. I also have 55 minutes each of Advisory and P.E. It's a crazy schedule, but we're a small school - only three 6th grade teachers, so we fill in the gaps.

I'll be look for lots of science advice this year!

14. Princess_De

Princess_De Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

I'm a first year sixth grade teacher in a self-contained classroom. I was a little nervous about this grade at first, but now I really think I'm going to love it! I tend to use a lot of humor when I teach and I feel this grade will appreciate it more than the third graders that I student taught.
    Besides, I can't be too picky about the grade level because teaching jobs in Michigan are so far and few between.
    I look forward to sharing ideas with all of you:)

15. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

Those of you new to 6th grade, I think you'll LOVE it! I truly do. I've subbed and student taught at all grade levels and I haven't found a grade I like more than 6th. Yes there is something special about all ages, but I have more of a connection with the 6th grade age level.

Have any of you had any major problems with behavior? People are always shocked that I teach 6th and love it. They think that kids at that age are terrible. I've had minimal problems in the year that I taught 6th, but found that enforcing rules right from the beginning combined with showing them that I care and want to build a connection really helps!

16. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

I had the greatest group of students last year! I'd like to think they were so well behaved because of my superior abilities in classroom management;) but I think there was also some luck involved. I was fortunate to have a system in place throughout the school for behavior problems.

17. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

A school-wide system definitely works well. Unfortunately, I don't think that the school I'm in this year has one. I would like to work with my team teacher to develop something for the both of us though.

18. MrsMcD

MrsMcD Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

This will be my 1st year teaching 6th grade. I student taught in a 6th grade self-contained classroom and LOVED it. I'm really excited about working with this age group again.

I posted in the "introduction forum" a little while ago (I just signed up for this message board). I'm not positive about the structure of the class I'll be teaching (departmentalized or self-contained). Based on a few conversations and questions I think there are 2 6th grade teachers, and I will be the one teaching most of the Math and Science (yeah - I love getting my hands dirty!)

I'm so excited to have found this board & so many other 6th grade teachers to bounce ideas off of! I'm already having "what to do on the first day" thoughts and plans! :)

19. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

Welcome MrsMcD! Where in PA are you located?

20. MrsMcD

MrsMcD Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

We're in Lancaster, but I'll be working out near York!

21. tiredteacher29

tiredteacher29 Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Has anyone used the Make Your Day school-wide discipline program? My new school uses it and I'm not overly thrilled...:huh: