Health/PE Endorsement Question

Discussion in 'Special Subjects' started by Tripp, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Tripp

Tripp New Member

Sep 10, 2018

Hello!

I have some random questions and I can't seem to find the answers on my own. I am wanting to pursue a career as a teacher, with my specialization in Health/PE. I have been a Paramedic for years, and I currently work in Emergency Management (Disaster Preparedness) for a local city in my area. I routinely go out to the middle and high schools to do disaster preparedness presentations. I love teaching and am set on pursuing this as a career.

I have my undergrad in Emergency Management and I currently live in Washington State. One of my first questions is, can anyone here recommend a quality, yet affordable, master's program that I can do online that would grant me the right endorsements to teach? I can't seem to find anything, but I imagine there has to be some programs out there! Anyone who can chime in, I appreciate and welcome any advice!

Also-- any teachers currently teaching in Washington State that has any general advice or suggestions for me? A friend who teaches in another state suggested I get my Master's in something else, and eventually work on my endorsement in Health/PE afterwards, though I still am quite unsure how this works!

Thanks for any help :)

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 11, 2018

Not in Washington State, but another angle that might be interesting would be Career Technology Education (CTE). With your background, you'd be a shoo-in for that.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 11, 2018

Welcome to A to Z, Tripp!

Start with https://www.pesb.wa.gov/workforce-d...tification/find-an-alternative-route-program/. Alternative route programs generally are intended for career changers - that is, folks like you. I'm fairly certain you don't need a master's to begin teaching in Washington state, by the way.

If there's a district or school you work with regularly and at which you're known, you might try chatting up the HR department or the principal to see how you might proceed.

5. Tripp

Tripp New Member

Sep 12, 2018

catnfiddle & TeacherGroupie-- thank you very much for the replies.

I am already looking into both pieces of advice you two have offered me. I had no idea about CTE teachers! That could definitely be an avenue for me.

And I'll definitely try to pick the brains of some of the teachers at the local schools I occasionally teach at.

If you think of anything else that might be help, please let me know! And again, thanks for the help :)

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 13, 2018

Definitely check into career tech! Our county school has an EMT program.