Health Insurance Companies!?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by teacherkasey, Sep 27, 2007.

1. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Sep 27, 2007

I just got a bill from the anesthesiologist for my first surgery... $1170:eek:! And the insurance company is trying to tell me they aren't paying it after I already checked my plan to make sure it was covered, in the provider network, etc. I will be on the phone again tomorrow. I can't wait to see the bill from the emergency surgery I had to have:eek::eek::eek:!!!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2007

I can beat that. For a 15 minute careflight that insurance paid for some of it, I still owe $6000!!

4. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Sep 27, 2007

Holy #*%*!!!!!! That is crazy!

5. smalltowngal

Sep 27, 2007

Tell me about it!! And of course they want their money in full...but they will give me a discount if I can come up with $4000 right now.

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2007

I got a bill for part of my surgery from last year, and the hospital sent me to collections when I refused to pay. I think it's all sorted out, but my insurance told me that the co-pay amount is a binding agreement between the hospital and the patient. Even if the insurance doesn't pay what the hospital wants them to pay, they can't bill the patient the extra.

I don't know if that's true, or if it's the same for all insurances, but they sent me this important looking paper saying all that to give to the hospital.

7. Subbing1

Subbing1 Rookie

Sep 28, 2007

I once owed my hospital several thousand dollars due to a trip to the ER for a UTI. I spent most of my time in the waiting room, just waiting to be seen, and when I was seen the doctor didn't spend more than 5 minutes with me.

At the time, I was uninisured so I went on a payment plan with the hospital, which was fine until someone else bought out the hospital and changed its name. Then, I had to hustle to pay.

Did ya'll see Oprah yesterday? She had Michael moore on, creator of the documentary Sicko. They were discussing the sad affair of healthcare in this country.

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2007

Oh good Lord, don't get me started!:rolleyes:

9. smalltowngal

Sep 28, 2007

Isn't Michael Moore the "Fahrenheit 9/11"? Then I agree kinderkids!