Having a few drinks to unwind on the weekends

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MathGuy31, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 10, 2019

When I have a drink, I usually have 2, sometimes 3. But for me the first one almost doesn't count, I have a high tolerance for alcohol. On a side note, I don't drink where I have to drive, it's either at home, at my campsite or if someone was driving.

2. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Feb 10, 2019

In college, I would drink every weekend. Just your typical college-type drinking. Since I've entered my mid-20's and been in the profession for 2 years, I just don't have the urge like I used to. A 2-day hangover just isn't worth it. I'm pregnant now, so obviously I'm not drinking at all now, but before this I had about a month-long dry streak. Not drinking alcohol has many benefits to the body!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 10, 2019

I’m not a fan of alcohol. I don’t care for it. I have less than one per year, and that is usually a margarita at the beach if that is where we are on vacation. I’ve never gone out for drinks.

A lot of that is probably because I have lived most of my life in a dry area.

My DH doesn’t really drink either. He did when he was in college, but he grew out of that kind of thing.

We do always keep Makers Mark on hand. I think it is a requirement to keep bourbon when you live in Kentucky.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 10, 2019

Yes, I drink on some weekends. I'm 31 and the club/super crowded bar scene is not as fun as it used to be, but I'm in a pretty casual city where not everything is like that on weekends. I haven't drank to the point of feeling sick that night or hungover the next day in years- it's just not worth it to "lose" a day of my weekend. I drink a b vitamin drink before going out, always have water, and if I start feeling really buzzed I stop drinking, at least for awhile. My limit is about 5 drinks if I'm out for a really long time. For example, yesterday we started around 4 and I went home around 10:30.

I have major anxiety about drinking and driving and just don't do it- ever. Truthfully all of the "I got a DUI and now I'm not sure if I can be a teacher" posts on this board over the years has majorly contributed to that. I can't imagine losing your entire livelihood! Even in situations where I know there's no way I'm over any legal limit, I just don't do it because it makes me too nervous. I either take an uber or public transit. I live within walking distance to a light rail station, but going downtown via that route takes a long time- at least an hour by the time I walk there, ride all the way downtown, and walk to my final destination. Coming home is even longer because I haven't timed leaving exactly right with the train schedule and end up having to wait for it to come as well. Late at night they don't come very frequently. Uber takes about 20 minutes, but is typically $20 or more. I've also reached a point where I don't want to spend that much time/money on a regular basis!

I end up drinking about 2 times per month. I don't really "crave" it, but yes I do think going out and having drinks is fun. I've never been someone to have a glass of beer/wine with dinner. I count calories and it's just not worth it to me- I'd rather have more food! I have some beer in my fridge from a party this summer that has been untouched all of these months! If I meet friends for dinner or something during the week, I don't drink because I just don't have time to deal with public transit nor do I want to spend money on uber if I'm not really going to drink that much. As I get older, it's not so much the actual drinking that I'm finding not as fun...it's the dealing with all of the inconveniences that go with it!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 11, 2019

I'll have a drink or 2 if I go out to dinner or out with friends. I love wine and have 3 opened bottles in my fridge right now but they are from Christmas! I guess I can take it or leave it but it's nice to have sometimes.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 11, 2019

I enjoy a glass of wine occasionally, especially to complement some nice cheese and fruit.

I especially love holiday drinks, like eggnog, particularly in daiquiri form. I rarely indulge, because of calories. But, I do love a nice White Russian. I count calories pretty strictly, so it's a rare occasion.

Also, because of my blood pressure, I can't take a lot of cold medicines. My nurse friend said the best thing for a sore throat is a shot of whiskey. So when I'm feeling under the weather, I'll make an apple cider and add a shot of Fireball to it. It's delicious, and medicinal.

7. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Feb 11, 2019

I have no problem having a drink or 2 when going out, I won't drink alone and very seldom do my husband and I drink at home.

Of course, being 6.5 months pregnant right now, it has been awhile since my last alcoholic drink! I really don't miss it.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 13, 2019

Like Teacher234, I don't drink alcoholic drinks & haven't ever in my life either. I don't even drink coffee, except for a sip once to see what it actually tastes like. I stay away from caffeine. I try to not drink much soda either.

I drink water mostly, then juices, lemonade, and chilled green tea. I'll treat myself w/ a smoothie here & there.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 13, 2019

When I was counting calories (and lost 35 lbs in 7 months) I couldn't afford to have a drink more than once a week. (not money, but calories). I used to have one cheat day, which is not a very good phrase, because I wasn't cheating, still counted and logged my calories, but I allowed myself to have more, even a lot more. So usually on a Friday or Saturday I had 1-2 drinks. I could only do it one night because usually drinking makes me hungry, so I had to account for the munchies as well lol.

10. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2019

Ms. I and I sound incredibly similar, drink-wise! I've also never had alcohol (nor coffee, really, blech). I will dive into sweets though, as my way of sitting back and relaxing ;)

Ms. I likes this.
  11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 13, 2019

mathmagic, right! I can unwind just relaxing at home, dining out, or sitting up relaxing in a movie theatre really. As long as I'm not doing ANY kind of work, ha!

mathmagic likes this.
  12. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Feb 13, 2019

I think that the choice to drink/not drink depends on many factors. Some families have to worry about alcoholism, others don't. For some it is about the truly occasional drink, at home, not to excess, while for others it is about getting that "buzz". The one thing that most of us would probably agree on is to abstain from drinking and driving. It is just common sense and a great example to set overall. My reasoning is personal, but not absolute - a little champagne, a little wine, or a frozen Strawberry Daiquiri all fall within the realm of moderate. I actually take more grief about the soda from my coworkers than the small amount of alcohol I consume. They point out the calories and the amount of caffeine, both true, but it is the one vice I do indulge in. I refuse to drink anything with artificial sweeteners, mostly because of taste, but also because I don't trust artificial sweeteners, so maybe I am trading one vice for another.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 14, 2019

If you have 3 drinks on Saturday and Sunday that's still only 6 total for the week. So an average of less than 1 drink per day! As long as it doesn't have a negative impact on your health or any other aspect of your life then live and let live.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2019

GO Chocolate!!!:D

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 14, 2019

I'm not a chocoholic, but I'm in the mood for a piece of caramel, chocolate, pecan candy, See's candy, or Snickers here & there. I love that milk chocolate pecan bear at Rocky Mtn Chocolate Factory.