Haves vs. Have nots

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jan 10, 2015.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jan 11, 2015

I went to an elementary school that was considered "bad." Those were the best 6 years of my life. We had teachers who genuinely cared. They weren't there because they HAD to be. They were there because they loved us. To this day if I see one of my elementary teachers, he/she will hug me, and ask about my life. We never knew we were considered less than, because they truly didn't feel that way.

But, then we were then bused to a "good" middle school. Those were the three worst years of my life. My parents couldn't afford the Abercrombie clothes, and I was super embarrassed of where I came from. I watched friends change, and do ANYTHING to fit in. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

High school got better, because there was one high school for the whole county, which led to tons of places to fit in.

Keep doing what you are doing.

2. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2015

YTG, I'm sorry. How frustrating. I taught in two of those schools in your school district, all on the "wrong side of the track" and I absolutely LOVED both of those schools- the staff, teachers, and students. I agree with the others, just keep doing what you're doing. :)

3. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Jan 11, 2015

You are obviously passionate. and young (given your pseudonym). When I read your post and the ones about the religious emails, etc. I just want to say to you (and others) that you will reach a point in your life when the words, thoughts, posts, etc. of others will be of no concern to you.You cannot control what others say or do. you can, however, choose how to respond.

I am sorry that you have suffered. but his comments are not worth your precious time stewing over or even thinking about for 1 second. Young people think their time is infinite. I certainly did. However, now I realize that it is not. therefore I try not to squander it on random comments by others, especially strangers, no matter how ridiculous or ignorant they may be.

Regards.

4. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jan 11, 2015

Honestly everyone has their opinion and choice.
    You know your school because that is your reality.
    Clearly the parent speaking about your school, is only going by what he has heard and probably a school like yours ISN'T his/or his kid's reality.
    I didn't have the reality of public schools (elementary/middle), let alone in a Title 1 school, so I would ensure that my child has the same educational experience that I did.
    It's one thing to have a preference, but some people forget to not be rude about it.

5. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jan 11, 2015

Our district is going through a similar situation. They are building 2 new elementary schools and are currently in the redistricting process. My school is 88% ESL and 98% free and reduced lunch. On the district facebook page, whenever they post about a redistricting meeting, there are ALWAYS comments like "I don't care what school my child goes to, as long as it's not XYZ elementary school" (my school). It is disheartening, as we have an amazing group of teachers and admin. However, when I look at the behavior issues that we have, which are substantial, and the achievement gaps that exist, I honestly don't think I would want my child to go to my school. I completely love each and every teacher, but I look at the classes that are SO needs-heavy and I know how much we struggle to get kids to grade level because they start so far behind.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 11, 2015

That's kind of what I went through, too. Looking back, if I had to guess, I would think that my elementary school had around 50% free/reduced lunch. There wasn't a lot of cultural diversity, but I lived in an older neighborhood with smaller houses.

My middle school was actually in the same building as my elementary school, and was a combination of 3 elementary schools: a high SES school, a low SES school, and mine. It was a whole new world for me. Middle school was the first time that I realized how little my family had compared to the kids who had a lot of money. It was a difficult adjustment, and I spent many years trying to pretend that my family had money, too. It's said how much money determines popularity at that age. I really hope that I can teach my children that there are more important things in life.