Have you tried power teaching this year?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by hsmath, Aug 25, 2008.

1. hsmath

hsmath New Member

Aug 25, 2008

Would love to hear from anyone that has tried this at the secondary level. Let me know the good, bad and ugly. Thanks!

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2008

Looking forward to starting it on Wednesday, rehearsing mentally like mad!

4. hsmath

hsmath New Member

Aug 26, 2008

Mrs. K let would be really interested to hear how it goes. I will be starting the Tues. after labor day. Little nervous to try this with hschoolers!

5. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Aug 26, 2008

I've gotten two days down with my 7th graders. Most of them are on board and seem to be really enjoying it. I have a few who think they're too cool for it, but after I've given myself points on the scoreboard for their non-participation, they interact minimally. On the first day, we did class-yes, the scoreboard (I let the classes choose their responses i.e. might oh yeah/groan), rules, and teach-okay with the rules. I reused all of those today as well as making some gestures to go along with one of the big points of my lesson. For the most part, I think they really enjoy it. I'm so excited!

6. toff

toff Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

What's power teaching?

7. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 26, 2008

Power Teaching is an approach that combines an amazingly effective classroom management system, and brain based learning to create a positive, student centered learning team.

It is tough to explain how tremendously powerful this can be until you try it.

For the basics check out my website. Feel free to ask any questions.

8. hsmath

hsmath New Member

Aug 27, 2008

Thanks kdw! Keep me posted! Just curious what type of responses did they come up with?

9. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Aug 27, 2008

I have six classes, so on the first day I gave them the idea of what the Mighty Oh Yeah and Groan were and asked for suggestions. They then voted on their favorite suggestion.

For the Mighty Oh Yeah, my classes' responses are:
    - Oh Yeah
    - That's what's up
    - That's what's hot
    - Gee Willekers
    - Ch-ching
    - Beat that

For the Mighty Groan, my classes' responses are:
    - Awwww
    - Mannnn
    - Booooo
    - That's whack
    - That's lame
    - What a drag

It's day three, and it's still a dream. I am absolutely loving this. Today, I was doing a hands-on activity with these pop-cubes and students were messing with them while I was talking, so I introdued Hands & Eyes, but used "Perfect Student" as I read what someone stated on this thread. It was awesome! I had their full attention, and for the few that I didn't, I just started the sentence with "My perfect studnet, __insert name___," and then either corrected them or went on with the lesson.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2008

We had our first day today, and I introduced Class-Yes, Teach-Okay, and the Big Six. I got straaaange looks from some of my seniors, but since they realized that losing the Scoreboard Game meant a lot more homework (write a summary of what we talked about today in X number of sentences) I think they'll step it up. Interestingly, my standard level class really got with the Class-Yes right away. Tomorrow I'll add the Mighty Groan and Mighty Oh Yeah - I might let them vote on what they want to say, as kdw mentioned. My only problem is that I'm EXHAUSTED! (But at the very last minute my schedule was changed so that I only have two preps instead of three, exactly the same as last year, so I'm very happy about that!)

11. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Aug 27, 2008

I have tried Class-Yes so far. I have been enjoying the smiles and how I get their attention so well. I am looking forward to trying the next steps.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2008

What is the "Perfect Student"?

13. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Aug 27, 2008

It's the same thing as Hands & Eyes. Instead of saying "Hands & Eyes," I say "Perfect Student" with the same gestures.

From the Classroom Power Blog - http://classroompower.com :

Hands and Eyes is what you will say when you want the students to pay special attention to a very important thing you are about to tell them. It communicates that what you are about to say is VERY important. You look at the students, clasp your hands, take a serious tone in your voice and say “Hands and Eyes!”

The class will mirror what you do, clasping their hands in front of them and making eye contact, and pay close attention to you and all talking stops, to hear the important announcement.

14. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Aug 27, 2008

We're having Meet the Teacher Night next week and I'm wondering if I should mention the Power Teaching strategy to parents and if so, what do I tell them about it?

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2008

Thank you! I knew about the Hands and Eyes thing.

I would mention it as part of your classroom management system. You might want to have the parents do it as you would the students.

16. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 28, 2008

I've been using it for 5 weeks or so this year. I am enjoying it so far. I introduced guff earlier this week. The first day guff didn't go over well, but I am enjoying it now. I am only using it in my lower level class and the students are enjoying it. Dare I say they even like the class? (These are the kids who don't like school).

17. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2008

An update - it's going pretty well, especially the Class-Yes. My DD is home from college and came over to school during my last period. My kids were working on a pair activity, and there was a certain amount of noise in the room, but I wanted to tell them something, so I called "Class?" In absolute unison they responded "Yes?" and fell silent. My DD's reaction was priceless! :haha:

18. Nomad

Nomad New Member

Aug 30, 2008

I'm reading up like mad, and running it over in my head.
    Tuesday is the beginning of my new career. Nervous, yes, excited, yes, eager, yes.

So I'm just goign to go head on into it and I love the idea of letting them choose their responses as this adds relevance if they can say something they like. But I know i'll have to remember to flip it up at times and create new call/responses to keep it fresh as the year goes on.

In other news:
    My room was barren and a mess, but amazingly, with help from great resident teachers I've got the room looking like a real classroom. I'm tired. It's been over 100* here and I'm not used to all the walking around and stressing! ha!

Power teaching here I come.

19. hsmath

hsmath New Member

Aug 30, 2008

That is Awesome Mrs. K! AtoZ has added a PT subforumn. I start with my kids on Tues. I'll let you all know how it goes! Noman--welcome to the ranks! You think your tired now? :lol: Keep us posted on how you're doing! I'm glad you have your classroom in order and it sounds like you are working with a great group of teachers!

20. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Aug 30, 2008

Woohoo! That is great! I was wondering when we would get one just for Power teaching! I think we should start a thread for gestures, so that we can share. I'm just seeing that as something that will be hard for me to keep coming up with. I know the kids can probably think of good gestures too, but I'd love to know what other teachers are doing. I am so excited about Power Teaching!

21. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 30, 2008

That is a great idea, kdw! By the way, I really like your blog. Congratulations on the good receptions by administration. That is typical, but it is so cool to be the one who amazes them.

Using alternate responses is a great idea. I use that myself. You are varying content, but not context. You say something different, but do it for the same reason.

I say "One second party!" and then add the 'style' for something different. The first is the style, and their response to it follows:

Candy Store!- Sweet!
    Marines!- Bu-Yah!
    Louisiana Style!- Bam! (after Emeril)
    Bear Style (our mascot)!- Growl!