"Have You Filled A Bucket Today" Issue

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherShelly, Jun 26, 2010.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 26, 2010

Dear All,

I love the book Have You Filled A Bucket Lately, A Child's Guide to Daily Happiness. I know kids need something concrete to hang abstract ideas on, so I even think it would be cool to buy buckets (say, at Target Dollar Spot) to have kids fill. However, here's what happened last year:

- Secret Bucket Fillers! Each kid got the name of another kid whose bucket they would secretly fill. It had to be free and from the heart. At the end of a few days, we revealed who had whom. For some, it worked as planned. For others, though:
    - "My bucket didn't get filled!"
    - "What!? I was sooooooo nice to you, I walked you to the cafeteria..."
    - "Oh."
    - Two unhappy kids.... one for not feeling filled and the other for not being appreciated/recognized.

What is the deal. Some people genuinely have big leaks in their buckets and all goodness just seeps out the hole and they need more More MORE.

THen I did "Compliments," during morning meeting. Everyone had three teddy bear math counters and had to give one along with a compliment to three other kids. Some kids are just not going to get many compliments, while others rack up a pile. I put the onus on the group at the end of the year, after they knew each other and the process very well, to make sure everyone ended up with three bears. Then the perpetually empty children complained that they got lame compliments (You are creative, seemed lame to one girl).

Thoughts?

3. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jun 26, 2010

Here is a post I made on another forum explaining how I work this. Even those who had social issues wound up doing very well by the end of the year - they made friends, felt like they belonged to the group, felt cared about. I really love the way this built up rapport among my students:

I attach manila envelopes along the front of the classroom, one per child.

I tape a picture of a bucket with the child's name underneath to the envelope.

At the end of each day, we verbally appreciate each other. It is a great way to have a calm end to the day. Only those students who are packed up and sitting up nicely are called on to appreciate another student. The other student also must be packed up and sitting up nicely. This is great incentive for students to get ready quickly and quietly.

They say things like: I appreciate Semaj for helping me with my math today. Or I appreciate Lucy for sitting with me at lunch and playing with me at recess.

Then the student who appreciated Lucy gets a strip from a coffee can I keep at the front of the room (file attached) that says: You are a bucket filler, great job! and puts it in Lucy's bucket. I tell her: Lucy filled your bucket today, now you can fill hers.

They LOVE this. If I notice that someone's bucket has no strips in it, I tell the class to be on the lookout for good things that those students are doing. I call on anyone who can appreciate those students first. We always get a number of hands up for each student who is low on strips.

They really enjoyed seeing their buckets filling up with these paper strips, a concrete way of seeing what a wonderful job they were doing filling other people's buckets. At the end of the day when we did this appreciation, people beamed with pride when someone appreciated them, and everyone watched solemnly as the buckets got filled.

At the end of a period of time, say a month, I tell the class that I will take out all of their strips and put them back in the coffee can, counting how many each person has. I tell them I like to see who is filling other people's buckets. In reality, I don't count, I just fill the coffee can up again.

I am recycling the strips for next year's bucket filling - they hold up pretty well.

4. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 26, 2010

I love these ideas!!! My son's teacher did something like this (1st grade). She called it Warm Fuzzies - She has fuzzy pom-poms and when she noticed someone doing something kind or if the kids told her that someone had been kind she put a pom-pom in a clear cup. When the cup was full they had a party.

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 26, 2010

Chele did she have one class cup or individual ones?

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 26, 2010

Would this work for third and fourth grade, or is it more of a K-2 thing?

7. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jun 26, 2010

I am definitely incorporating "Bucket Filling" in my classroom next year! I'm not quite sure how I'm going to set it up yet (especially because I teach half day K and having 35 or so buckets would take up a lot of room!) I know some others on the forum have posted pics of their Bucket Filling bulletin boards. Anyone care to share theirs if you have any?

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 26, 2010

Oooh, I was looking at the bucketfillers101 website and saw this poster:
    [​IMG] Use a Lid! I love that, esp. for kids who get into the whole learned helplessness of, "He dipped me!" This is perfect.

So I went and bought the planter cups from the dollar spot. Man it was HARD resisting the metal buckets with star cutouts and so on, but $6 or $22? I had to go with the plain planters. (Maybe at the end of the school year I will reuse them as thank-you gifts for each family - you know, thank you for helping us grow...)

9. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2010

This is a school-wide practice at my school (K-5). I'm not so sure how much the upper grades implement this though.

10. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jun 26, 2010

I did a compliment jar in 4th grade. The kids wrote compliments for each other for doing above and beyond things. I pulled out a name on Friday and bought that person an ice cream. The kids liked it and it was an incentive for them to look for the positives in each other.

11. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 26, 2010

Did they make a big deal if one kid was pulled more than once, or if someone didn't get pulled all year?

12. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2010

I did it as "drops in the bucket" with poster-sized graph paper. The kids would draw a little drop in next to the child's name after sharing a "bucket-filler" I told them that our class goal was to keep it balanced which meant they always strived to make sure everyone's bucket was "filled" equally.

13. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jun 27, 2010

No, they were a pretty easy going group. It was a class of 18 so I think everyone was pulled at least once during the year. One time the principal came in as we were drawing a name from the jar. He was impressed and paid for the ice cream that week. :)

14. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 27, 2010

TeacherShelley-- I did the same thing at the dollar spot! Really wanted the metal ones or the paper mache ones with the stars. But made much more sense to spend $4 instead of 17!

15. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Jun 27, 2010

Schoolteacher-
    I love your ideas. I read the book to my class last year and we had a class discussion, but I would like to do a lot more with it next year. Do you have a template that you used for your bucket? I'm having trouble finding pictures of buckets to use. Thanks!

16. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 27, 2010

Here's one... [​IMG]

17. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jun 27, 2010

I sent you a PM with the templates of the buckets and the paper strips.

18. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Jun 27, 2010

I ran buckets on const. paper and laminated one for each child. I also ran raindrops. Whenever I noticed someone doing something kind/thoughtful, I would stick a raindrop on their bucket. When they got 10 raindrops, they got to get something out of the large bucket that I have different items in. The PTA allowed me $ to buy things for the bucket. I also copied the bucket award from the website to fill out & send home as well as the I Am A Bucket Filler sheet that they would color & I would display. I also have a class bucket-a little larger than the ones for each child. When our class would get a compliment I would put a raindrop on the class bucket. When we got 12 raindrops, I would bring a bucket of ice cream for the class to celebrate.

19. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jun 28, 2010

dont have the space in my classroom for individual buckets or even a bulletin board with bucket cutouts so I am going to run my bucket filling a little differently. I am going to do just one big bucket (i do an am and pm class for K so I think I will do buckets for each). I was thinking about making premade strips with things the kids can just sign their name on, at least for the first half of the year when most of them can't write independently. Things like:
    I helped a friend.
    I shared with a friend.
    I gave a compliment to a friend.

Any more ideas for things I can list on the strips? I was also thinking of adding a little picture to each and when students do one of the things they can get a strip, add their name and put it in the bucket.

20. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

I'm definitely considering this for the upcoming year. I definitely think it could work with 4th graders. I just need to figure out exactly how I want to go about implementing it.

21. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 28, 2010

I really like the graph paper idea. I had problems with my 6ths last year always wanting to fill the same buckets and ignoring others. Maybe the visual will help them to be more aware.