have you every used Insta-snow?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by maggie123, Jan 8, 2011.

1. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Jan 8, 2011

have you ever used Insta-snow?

Is it reuseable? -more specifically does it dry back up and then you can re-wet it at a later date or do you toss it when you are done using it?

Also, is it very messy? I only have carpet area and don't want to wreck the carpet.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2011

I have used it for years. I don't recommend doing it on carpet. We usually go outside. I use it a different way each year because some of my children are with me for six years and I like to change things up. This year we added tons more water than we usually do to see how much it could expand. Most years we let the water evaporate and then you can use it again. Unfortunately, we added so much water that it got moldy before the water evaporated. Some years we add food coloring to the water...we don't reuse that version. Next year is my last year to teach so I won't be buying anymore.

4. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Jan 8, 2011

I have used it in my kindergarten class. I went to a local grocery store & they donated some styrofoam meat trays, so each child gets a tray to put their "snow" in. The trays give them room enough to play with the snow plus they have a little bit of a "lip" to help with the mess. When we are done, I send the snow home with them in a baggie.

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 8, 2011

I place it on a large cookie sheet and let it dry in the window. I keep it until it gets tan in color, which happens fast when you teach 6 year olds!

6. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 11, 2011

Just let the snow sit, untouched, in a dry place, and it will shrink back down. I've used some for four years, and it's still perfect.

7. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 12, 2011

I used Insta-Snow when I had an Extended Day preschool class. Everyone LOVED it!!

I put mine in a simple large tub. You could also use it in a sand/water table. (When I made the Insta-Snow, I put the dry snow in a child's hands and then added the water on top of it. It creates a VERY INTERESTING sensation as it develops!!)

I wouldn't reuse it because of all the germs, sneezes, etc. that the kids bring to it.