Have you ever heard of this?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pwhatley, Aug 10, 2007.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 10, 2007

My cooperating teacher (3rd grade) and I were in the coordinators office today, and she (the coordinator) told us that she was placing a special needs child in our class. Apparently, the child is fine mentally and is on grade level. However, she has some form of disability that makes it where she doesn't know when she has to use the bathroom -#1 or #2. They are trying to get her a "special skills" aide, so that the aide will ensure that the child gets to the restroom every hour and a half to two hours, and that she takes care of everything properly. Luckily, there is a bathroom in our classroom, so that should help some. I am just curious because I have never heard of anything like this -- there are many things of which I have never heard, but definitely not this! I really feel sorry for this child -- it must be horrifically embarrassing!

3. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Aug 10, 2007

I have heard of some cases like this. I don't know what the condition is called, though. We have an upper elementary student in our building now who frequently soils his clothes without meaning to and must bring extra clothes to school each day. It is difficult to stomach the smell. A friend of mine was horrified during summer school of last year when she sat in a chair he had just vacated only to realize that she was sitting in a small puddle of you know what.

It must be a stressful situation for student and teacher. It really breaks my heart that there seems to be nothing that can be done about it (besides special undergarments). I worry about what middle school and high school will be like for these children. Older kids can be very cruel about things they don't understand.

4. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 11, 2007

I worked with an adult that had this problem once. He was injured during military service. He did know how to clean himself well, though, so although he spent ALOT of time in the bathroom, it never bothered me. He was also a very knowledgable resource.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 11, 2007

Luvtching:
    I grew up embarrassed about my size. As bad as I felt, it can only be exponentially worse for her. We didn't ask about the special undergarments -- I'll have to talk with my cooperating teacher about it. Probably the nicest thing we can do for her is to seat her nearest the class restroom, wouldn't you say?

6. mincc

mincc Companion

Aug 11, 2007

I recently saw a show about this-I only caught the end. There was a family with two boys, a pre-teen and a teen. They both have this condition. I did not catch the name of it, though. The issue of the smell is definitely the worst for them-I think their problem is with #2 only. So, that is something that may come up in the class and of course any "puddles" that may occur. I cannot even imagine how hard that must be for these children. :( My heart goes out to them.

I think sitting her closest to the bathroom is a great idea, but maybe before you do, ask her if she is comfortable there, as a way to NOT make her think she has been isolated right away-she will know you are helping her and will be happy you are. :) Does that make sense? It will definitely help with the aide, but again, that is something the other kids may notice and comment about.

When I was a TA, we had the bathroom in our room. We had a couple of kids who had stomach issues and they would just need to go immediately. Sometimes, they would make a joke out of it, other times, they were really embarrassed. But, most of the time, we had the rest of the class occupied so they did not even notice.

Good luck to you. This student is lucky you are so kind and caring about her now. :2up:

7. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

my best friends' son has CP and will most likely never be potty trained (he's going into 3rd). Regardless of the condition she has you need to be asking what the procedure is when she does have an accident. Who is the responsible party for cleaning her up (the nurse, will you share an aide, you).

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2007

Will you have a meeting with the student and her parent? Because you don't really know yet what kind of accidents she may or may not have, or how often.

Nicole is right. We had a situation at our school and it hadn't been made clear who was responsible. The secretary, a young girl, ended up being the one to help with a child's ostomy bag. We don't have a nurse. It wasn't really fair.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 11, 2007

I wish I knew more about the girl's condition/situation. I don't believe there will be a pre-school meeting -- The students begin school on Tuesday. The coordinator told my cooperating teacher that she was placing this girl in our class mainly because I would be there as a second adult, so one of us could handle the girl's needs if it came to that. I don't mind helping any child with any true need, and they are supposed to be getting her an aide, but truthfully, according to the rules for student teaching that I have read, THAT is not what I am there for. Additionally, I leave the class just after Thanksgiving, so what is supposed to happen for the rest of the year?

10. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Aug 11, 2007

pwhatley:
    Close proximity to the restroom is a good idea but be sure to check that she's okay with that, as was suggested. And it might be a good idea to have the extra set of clothes stored in a way that wouldn't be obvious if she ever needed to take them with her into the restroom. I think she is very fortunate to have a compassionate student teacher in the room. On another note, as a student teacher I'm almost positive that you cannot and should not be asked to assist with the clean-up of students with medical conditions.