Have you ever been forced to run a fundraiser?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by PEteacher07, Mar 16, 2019.

1. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Mar 16, 2019

I received a meeting invite at the beginning of the school year by a central office administrator who is one level above my principal. There were no details really listed about what it was for, so I emailed and ask what it was pertaining to. The title of the meeting was a fundraiser that I had been forced into last year by my administrators but didn't want to do. She never gave me an answer or any details.

My principal is absent the day of the meeting with a dr. appt so our asst. principal who is not new but is new to our school sits in. She doesn't know me...she doesn't know our school. In walks this administrator with 2 other people that I didn't know where coming. They are the sales reps for the fundraiser. They are all ambushing me and forcing me into this fundraiser again.

They all said that they went to our superintendent saying that my school was the only elementary school in the district who hasn't signed to do the fundraiser. The administrator said this was a "priority" for the district. (This is all a lie. There are multiple schools who don't do the fundraiser including at least 2 in the feeder schools that she is over. It is also a lie that it is a priority for the district because the only district endorsed fundraiser is United Way.) Did the administrator call meetings with those other PE teachers and ambush them? Nope. Just me.

I protested and said the reason I don't want to do it is that our school does a lot of fundraisers. I counted it all up and this fundraiser will be the 13th of the year. In fact, our school finished a cookie dough fundraiser just a couple of weeks ago and it went poorly.

I have refused to the run the fundraiser because our parents are out of money and my principal will not take a stand and say "no more" so he is going to run it. And by not saying no more, he is going to rope the school in to doing it next year.

If I get called into a meeting like that again, what should I do? I was so caught off guard and unnerved by the whole thing that I didn't know what to do and just sat there and typed notes through the whole thing and spoke up a couple of times, but I knew they weren't going to listen to me. They had their agenda.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Mar 16, 2019

I think that it is highly inappropriate how your principal and district administrator tried to pull a fast one and volunteer your services without your input. And 13 fundraisers?! Geese, they are nickeling and dimeing the parents.

Are you a part of a teacher’s union? If so, I think you should talk to your union rep because what they are trying to get you to do is beyond the pervue of your contract, IMO. Finally, the fact that this was done in such an underhanded way is making alarm bells ring off in my head. I would definitely follow through because it appears as if they are trying to force you into it again.

4. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Mar 16, 2019

I see posts on here and it brings me a sense of calm......not based on what happened, but the fact that these shenanigans don't only happen at my school!

PEteacher07 likes this.
  5. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Mar 16, 2019

When I hear the word accountability in education, I usually just lmao.

6. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Mar 16, 2019

I thought it was highly inappropriate too. And I don’t think it would have helped if my principal had been in the initial meeting bc he is a “yes man.” He knows we shouldn’t be doing this fundraiser but won’t ruffle any feathers. In fact, when he met with me to plan the date, he was having difficulty trying to figure out when we could do it bc there were so many other fundraisers on the calendar.

After this meeting, I called my teacher association attorney. He felt like they could compel me into the fundraiser bc it has curriculum lessons that I can teach. He told me to play nice.

It wasn’t until months later that I found out that no other PE teachers from other schools were forced into meetings or forced to do this except for me. It wasn’t until months later that I found out that the only district sponsored fundraiser is united way.

7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Mar 16, 2019

After reading your post, I did, too!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2019

Read your contract.