Have any Public Teachers here moved to Private school? Experiances?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rodge88, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Rodge88

Rodge88 Rookie

Mar 5, 2019

I have never though of private school mainly because I heard the pay was lower and worse benefits. I have 10 years with Calstrs, but am unhappy.

My main complaint is the students blatant disrespect of school staff, other student's education, and their own education. I feel teaching has not been what I expected when I got my credential. I admit I am weak in areas of classroom management. Administrators and other staff members have told me I have a great repoir and patience with my students. So it is a smaller group of students that cause me the upset.

Yet it just dawned on me that private school could be the answer I should have looked at long ago. Many of my students are great, but the few extreme cases really wear on me. I get bothered that the rest of my students are subjected to this and it makes me feel bad. I know the problem is not just in my room either as all teachers talk about the same students causing problems in their classes as well. There just is not enough consequences from admin to cause a change. Would private schools be better about supporting me and disciplining students with extreme behaviors so that other students are not affected?

Has anyone made the switch? Did this help make a difference? Also How do private school retirement plans work? Do you pay into social security or a 401k?

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Mar 6, 2019

As someone who works at a private school in the state of California, I can tell you that you will pay into Social Security, as well as contribute to a 403b plan and/or 457 plan.

I don’t really contribute to mine because my employer only matches 1-3% and so I put my money into stocks, bonds, and a Roth IRA because I have a greater return on my investment. My employer is also looking into alternative retirement providers and so I will probably start contributing once they make the switch as the one we have right now is not great.

I never switched from public to private and have always worked in a private school. I did so because I thought it was ridiculous how much the school districts I applied to were going to deduct from my base salary. For example, they were going to take out 13% for retirement, 2% for union dues, and ~10% for healthcare, so I was looking at losing ~25% of my salary right off the top. This did not include federal, state, and local taxes which, when included, resulted in a projection of 40-50% of my salary being taken. I was shocked at just how little money I would be making and decided it wasn’t worth it.

I *might* work at a public school in the distant future when I have enough experience and an administrative license, but not until then as I LOVE my private school. I think it is much better than its public school counterpart in a lot of ways and I appreciate that we have greater autonomy as we are not affiliated with a public school district (we play by our own set of rules so long as we follow state and federal educational laws).

Normally, private schools don’t pay well, but mine thankfully does to stay competitive. And because we don’t have a teachers union to do collective bargaining for us (thank goodness for that), we are free to negotiate our own salary packages and so I managed to get a pretty sweet deal. Speaking about this, I currently make about 65k (with annual bonuses as teachers are rewarded for their students performing well on state tests) as a 5th-year teacher, my healthcare is 100% provided for by my employer, and I am due for a pretty substantial raise for the next several years as the state minimum wage increases.

For you, I would recommend looking for a private school in a more affluent area as tuition is what pays your salary. Thus, the more people can pay the higher your compensation package, presumably.

Good luck! Working in a private school is one of the BEST decisions I ever made!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Pisces likes this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2019

I made the move...best move of my career. However, I did not have to be the sole breadwinner and already had a retirement income.

Pisces and futuremathsprof like this.
  5. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Mar 6, 2019

I did the opposite. I first taught at a private school and just had to make the switch because of the low pay. I only had 11 kids in my class at the private school - so nice.

mrsf70 likes this.
  6. futuremathsprof

Mar 6, 2019

My average this year is about 32 students per class. Ugh! It’s due in part to restructuring of classes and because we had record enrollment this year. And I just found out from admin that we will have about 50 new students next year and we have several more students who are interested in joining my school. I am going to ask for yet another raise (as it is more work when class sizes are huge) if my classes balloon anymore than they have.

7. whizkid

whizkid Comrade

Mar 6, 2019

You're leaving free money on the table......

8. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 6, 2019

I have one class of 11 in my public school. My other classes are a bit bigger with 16, 18, 25, and 27. They didn't balance them out so well thiss year.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Mar 6, 2019

I have worked in both private and public schools, and I find that my salary in the private school is comparable to the public school salaries, but I have multiple endorsements that afford me some salary benefits that may be a deciding factor in annual salary. I would look everywhere, and judge each job on its merit and salary. There is no one size fits all salary or benefit package in any state or with any endorsement. Always use due diligence when comparing job offers.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. futuremathsprof

Mar 7, 2019

Well, I calculated how much I would make from my and my employer’s contributions and I determined that I can make way more investing like I have been. Normally, I would agree but in this particular instance, no.

11. deepak

deepak New Member

Mar 7, 2019

You can preffer prvate tutions which are higher level of business
    like math tutor in henderson

12. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Mar 7, 2019

I made the switch from public school to private school. It was the best decision I ever made.
    I might have taken a small pay cut but I get free lunch, all professional development paid for, supplies paid for, have very small classes, very respectful students who say "yes sir / ma'am, no sir / ma'am." I rolled my pension money out of the state pension system and into a 403-B. My school matches the 403-B. I also get a 3.5% pay raise every year.

The better conditions have helped me immensely mentally and physically. I lost weight and I sleep well at night. I am treated like a professional.

Do it. Make the switch.

(Tagging @LittleShakespeare from the other thread so that she can see that there are places that treat their teachers like the professionals they are!)

13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 7, 2019

My mom worked in a private school and was ridiculously happy there. She had small classes, great students, and didn't have to worry about 90% of the nonsense we do in public school. Most of her energy was put into how to make lessons more fun/more engaging. She got to have fun on a daily basis.

I will say that the perception that all kids in private schools come from wonderful two parent homes was not true for her. BUT you have to consider that these kids have SOMEONE in their corner who cares about their education so much that they're willing to pay thousands for something that would otherwise be free. Even if it's not a parent, that makes a difference and is a significant advantage.

She did also deal with some behaviors and there is an element of not wanting to kick kids out due to losing tuition money. However, the flip side of that is they can't have anything too crazy, because it'd be much worse to have many students leave due to severe behaviors in the class. People paying tuition aren't going to put up with violence or their kid having to evacuate the classroom on a regular basis.

I'd work in a school like hers in a heart beat. The problem? With a Master's degree and 20+ years experience, she made less than 30K per year. I made significantly more my first year with just a BA. There were single moms at her school literally on food stamps. I've only heard about private schools paying normal salaries on here. In my area and in my hometown, they all pay peanuts.

mrsf70 likes this.
  14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Mar 9, 2019

I switched from public to private. As far as the pay change, it depends on the private school. I was careful to choose one where the cut in pay wasn't more than I could afford. The school I am at has good benefits, but not all private schools do. You will pay into Social Security. Not all private schools are these dream places with well behaved students. Be careful and do your homework. I am glad I did. I really enjoy teaching at the private school I am at.