have a Spec Ed cert-add Elementary?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsTeckel, Apr 30, 2012.

1. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Apr 30, 2012

I have a Special Education certification. Ive been teaching for 4 years...all 4 years have been in a non-public school for children with autism. I would really like to get into a public school ( I think).

Ive expressed concerns on another teacher board about not having a good grasp on the general education curriculum, at least grades above 4th grade. I got a response "you shouldn't be teaching" I've thought bout that as well. But I have no idea what else I could/would do.

I also thought bout getting an elementary certification. Would this make me more marketable to a public school?

Does anyone have a special education certification and elementary certification?? Did you find it easier to get a job?

Thanks

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 30, 2012

I have both. It's required in my area and in my hometown to be "highly qualified" in whatever gen ed subject your sped program will be related to. So I have an elementary degree, in MS if I wanted to teach special ed math, I'd have to be highly qualified in math as well as special ed. So everyone has it...so I don't think it really makes a difference as far as job hunting goes. I had an easier time getting a job because I was willing to relocate to an area where more jobs were available.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Groupie

Apr 30, 2012

K-5 is not exactly an easy place to find a job. You may still be unable to find a position.

5. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Apr 30, 2012

O I know just elementary is a hard place to find a job...I was more talking about if having an elementary and special education certification will help me get a special education position in a public school, or do you really think that matters?

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 1, 2012

It helped me to get a special education job in the public schools. They really liked that I was certified to teach the subjects not just special education.

I don't see how it would hurt you.

7. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

May 1, 2012

Go for it. The more certifications the better in this job market.