Has anyone taken melatonin?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 13, 2012

The dreaming part gets better, too. It freaked me out at first.

My issue is that I don't get sleepy until midnight or later. Then I sleep light and wake easily and can't go back to sleep for a half hour or so. The Benadryl/melatonin combo helps me fall asleep and stay asleep.

2. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 13, 2012

my husband takes it every night. ambien and tyneol pm was too strong for him and he felt groggy in the morning,

3. storyh

storyh Companion

Dec 17, 2012

I took the highest dose you can buy OTC but didn't help me at all, but things work differently for different people. If you decide to take it, I hope it helps.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 17, 2012

I took Ambien from time to time throughout my college years. It definitely helped me get to sleep, but I often felt groggy the next day (especially if I wasn't able to get the full 7-8 hours of sleep that my doctor recommended).

Ever since I started teaching, I'm "out" within five minutes of my head hitting the pillow.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 17, 2012

I take it the week before school starts so that I can get back in the rhythm of going to bed early. I usually only need 1/2 a pill half an hour before I go to bed. And a nice cup of hot tea.

My dad used it a lot when he worked the night shift - 7 days on, 7 days off. Really helped him to regulate his sleeping.

6. Accountable

Accountable Companion

Dec 17, 2012

I take 5 HTP now to keep my sleep schedule regular. It seems to help.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 17, 2012

My vacation starts this Thursday so I plan to start taking melatonin then. I heard it can make you pretty drowsy so I want to experiment while on vacation. I'll let you guys know, if you care, if it helped or not.

8. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 17, 2012

I'd like to know if it worked for you or not. Fingers crossed that it does!

9. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2012

My fiance took it and slept 24 full hours or something ridiculous.
    I took 3 and I felt like it did nothing, although after trying it a few times I realized I woke up less.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 18, 2012

Whoa! Is that healthy? :unsure:

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2013

So, update. I started taking melatonin the second or third day of vacation. For the first four days I had the most vivid, crazy, involved dreams. Like, very vivid and very real. Nothing scary, just interesting... I was sleeping more and more throughout the night.

By day five, the dreams simmered down. I have actually been bad about taking melatonin each night lately, but I'm still able to sleep through most of the night. I still wake up during the night (not as often, though), but when I do I am able to fall back to sleep very quickly. I woke up today around 7 and for the first time, I wasn't groggy.

So, it's definitely helped a lot and I plan to be better about taking it nightly.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 15, 2013

I slept from 10:00 to 4:30 last night. That's amazing for me. My vivid dreams have settled down, too.

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2013

Did you start taking it recently, too Ima?

I'm so happy that my friend suggested melatonin. It has really altered my mood. I am happier and actually look forward to the day. This is a huge improvement.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 16, 2013

I took it at the beginning of the school year, but I was groggy the following day. I waited until November to try again. I've taken one every night since around Thanksgiving.

15. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 16, 2013

I started taking it last week. I was taking benedryl or a sleep aide which was the same dang thing.. dexa-whatever-mine. It helps me.

Em's night cough medicine has melatonin in it. Zarbee's. She was so sick and miserable. That stuff helped her rest. Within 20 mins she had stopped coughing and 20 more mins was sleeping.