Has anyone taken melatonin?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2012

I just purchased some chewable, peppermint flavored, .5mg melatonin supplements to help me sleep better. I have horrible insomnia and it's been acting up lately. Two different people told me about melatonin so I figured I'd try it out. I'm thinking I will wait until this weekend and also I want to do a bit more research. I've read a few articles, but I wanted to see if any of you guys have taken it too and what your experiences were.

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 12, 2012

I've taken it off and on for a while. It doesn't make me sleepy,it just seems to settle my mind into sleep mode. There are still nights, though, that I don't sleep well. When I first started taking it I thought it would be like Nyquil and knock me out. It doesn't do that.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 12, 2012

I use a product that has it in it occasionally when I can't sleep.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 12, 2012

I am a horrible sleeper. My doctor recommended melatonin. I tried it over the summer. It helped me stay asleep, but I was groggy the next day. I stopped taking it. However, I tried it again, and that stopped.

I take 2 Benadryl at night, too. That's for an itching issue, but it does make me sleepy.

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 12, 2012

Works great for some in my family but not for me.

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 12, 2012

I take melatonin. Dr. Oz just did a great episode on melatonin, and how most people take it for the wrong reasons. It's intended to set your night "clock" but doesn't necessarily induce sleep. It's mostly for people who are day sleepers or who have traveled over time zones and have jet lag. I can't post the link right now but if you search for "dr. Oz melatonin" you can find it.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2012

I guess I should have added that it's not to induce sleep. The type of insomnia I have is that I can't stay asleep. I wake up all the time, during the night.

Kat, that was one of the pages I ran across, Dr. Oz's website discussed melatonin.

I think I want to give it a shot and see if resetting my internal clock might work. I don't know what else to do to keep me asleep at night.

9. Accountable

Accountable Companion

Dec 12, 2012

For some reason it gives me crazy legs. I just can't keep 'em still. I feel like I need to stretch and stretching just doesn't make them feel better. Most people I talk to say it helps them, though, so I'm probably the exception to the rule.

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 12, 2012

I had a lot of people recommend it to me but it didn't work. I have tried several prescription sleeping pills that didn't work either, so I shouldn't have been surprised that something OTC wouldn't work. My problem is that I don't sleep well at night. On weekends or during the summer, I can sleep just fine for 8 hours, but I sleep best in the mornings. I am simply not tired at night. In fact, it's often when I feel most awake!

11. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Dec 12, 2012

If it doesn't work, don't be afraid to say something to your doctor. My fabulous doctor gave me a prescription for Trazadone. I knew I wasn't sleeping well, but I didn't realize how badly it was affecting me. My problem was that I would wake up and lay awake for hours with my mind racing. The prescription did wonders! I am a much better person, mommy, and teacher with sleep! It also let me sleep well without knocking me out. I heard my infant when he needed me and could take care of him without waking up every deep breath and then being stuck awake.

12. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 12, 2012

Try it and hopefully it will give you some relief. Take it 1-2 hours before you go to bed. There's also Valerian Root as another option.
    Insomnia is horrible. Horrible!! I'm guessing you don't want to try prescription sleep meds?

13. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 12, 2012

Oddly enough this is exactly what happened to me. Down to taking two benedryl for itching and sleeping.

14. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 12, 2012

I take two Benedryl plus one melatonin.

15. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Dec 12, 2012

My husband takes it, and half an hour later (or sooner) can be sleeping like a baby. He struggles with insomnia and narcolepsy, though.

I can't -- it does help me go to sleep, but I will have crazy lucid dreams all night. So... not for me.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2012

Oooh, lucid dreams are fun! :D

Right, Kat. I don't want to take prescription drugs. I really hate taking meds (due to the years I was on meds as a kid...).

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 13, 2012

The dreaming part gets better, too. It freaked me out at first.

My issue is that I don't get sleepy until midnight or later. Then I sleep light and wake easily and can't go back to sleep for a half hour or so. The Benadryl/melatonin combo helps me fall asleep and stay asleep.

18. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 13, 2012

my husband takes it every night. ambien and tyneol pm was too strong for him and he felt groggy in the morning,

19. storyh

storyh Companion

Dec 17, 2012

I took the highest dose you can buy OTC but didn't help me at all, but things work differently for different people. If you decide to take it, I hope it helps.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 17, 2012

I took Ambien from time to time throughout my college years. It definitely helped me get to sleep, but I often felt groggy the next day (especially if I wasn't able to get the full 7-8 hours of sleep that my doctor recommended).

Ever since I started teaching, I'm "out" within five minutes of my head hitting the pillow.

21. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 17, 2012

I take it the week before school starts so that I can get back in the rhythm of going to bed early. I usually only need 1/2 a pill half an hour before I go to bed. And a nice cup of hot tea.

My dad used it a lot when he worked the night shift - 7 days on, 7 days off. Really helped him to regulate his sleeping.