Has anyone taken a CSET Multiple Subject Prep Class?

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by ilikedesserts328, Jul 13, 2018.

1. ilikedesserts328

ilikedesserts328 Rookie

Jul 13, 2018

Did anyone take a CSET Multiple Subject prep class for all the subtests? If so, was it helpful? I graduated with my BA in liberal studies and none of my undergraduate work prepared me for the CSET. I already have my Cliffnotes book and I'm still learning the English part of subtest I. It's been a few weeks now. I really want to pass the CSET before February so that I can apply for the credential program since it's a requirement. I feel like I'm falling behind.

3. kainca

kainca New Member

Aug 13, 2018

Hi, I used the online version of Teachers Test Prep (they have a discount code on Facebook) for each of the three Multiple Subjects CSET and the Cliffnotes book to study for each exam. I also looked up concepts that were more difficult for me to remember (or learn) on YouTube (Crash Course was my favorite for science) and used Khan Academy to practice math (especially geometry). There were also several good videos on teaching reading and spelling (just do a general search).

I had enough time to study over 8 months total (preparing for each subtest individually - about about 2 hours each day) and passed each exam on my first try. My weakest subject was Math and Science so I gave myself more time to study before taking the exam. I will say that I took about 50 pages of notes out of the book and the same off of the test prep website and then studied my notes and watched the video lectures at least twice for each subject. I took all of the practice exams and studied the answers (in the Cliffnotes book you have to read the answers to all of the practice exams or you'll miss most of the information).

Reflecting on the test questions, I have to say that I would not have had enough information if I had only used Cliffnotes (or only the test prep website) to study.

My favorite thing about Teachers Test Prep is that they have excellent videos and PowerPoint slides for each subtest. They also have 2 exams you can take with video explanations for each answer. They also offer a money back guarantee (or extended time to study their course material). Some of the constructed response questions on the exams were exactly the same questions as were covered in the videos.

One final tip: depending on where you live, you may have limited appointment availability to take subtest II (Math/Science) so you might want to schedule your exam at least 2 months before you need to take it. Also, check the test release dates to make sure you have plenty of time to take the exams and receive the results before you need them.
    Also, if you need to retake a test, you have to wait 45 days.

I was completely stressed about passing each test and didn't know how I had done after each exam and I passed without any trouble. You should be able to pass all 3 without any problem - just structure your study schedule according to what works for you and get started. It's overwhelming at first, then after you pass each exam you'll feel more confident.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    ilikedesserts328 likes this.
  4. ilikedesserts328

ilikedesserts328 Rookie

Aug 13, 2018

Thank you so much! I'm going to be taking the CSET prep classes in September through Teacher's Test Prep. I am so stressed. I've been taking the practice tests on the CTC website and I've been scoring quite low. Do you think the teacher's prep stuff helped more than the Cliffnotes book? I have the Cliffnotes book and sometimes it's not really clear for me. I've been relying on Khan Academy and Crash Course on YouTube to supplement. The credential program that I'm applying for requires me to have passed the entire CSET in order to just apply for the program. It's been really stressing me out since the deadline for the application is so close and I feel like I won't pass it in time.

5. kainca

kainca New Member

Aug 13, 2018

I completely understand how stressed you feel. I had to pass mine before starting my program. I start in September so I cut it really close.
    I would say that the combination of both is how I passed. I wrote extensive notes on the book (again you have to really study the test answers) and took notes off the videos while watching them. After finishing the material in the book (including the tests) and watching the videos (on Teachers Test Prep), I took one of the practice exams on the test prep website and then studied all of the answers. I then studied all of my notes again and then took the second test prep practice exam. I then listened to the videos for the subtest I was studying for (except for math) anytime I was driving anywhere, while I put my makeup on and fixed my hair.. basically anytime my brain was awake enough to learn I listened to the videos.

Knowing the material in the book as much as possible, then watching the videos, then rewatching and studying my notes is how I passed. You know what works best for you as far as learning- I have to take a lot of notes as I learn or my mind wanders.. I think you have plenty of time. Space your exams out so you have time to study (1-2 months for each exam) and put in as much time as possible on the material you’ll be tested on.
    I was completely overwhelmed in the beginning and chose the subtest covering the material I found the easiest.

When I finished each test I took a couple of days off then started studying for the next exam. I reminded myself that the very worst that would happen is that I would have had to take an exam again. If you schedule accordingly you should have time to retake one or two of the exams.

I had no classes covering any of the material with the exception of human development. I earned my BA in Communication ten years ago. Also I couldn’t remember learning any of the science and math in high school. I couldn’t remember most of the history I had previously been taught.. With 6 months to study, I think you should definitely have enough time as long as you spend enough time every day studying. Just remember to check the test release dates so you know the latest date you can take your final exam.
    You can do it!

ilikedesserts328 likes this.
  6. ilikedesserts328

ilikedesserts328 Rookie

Aug 14, 2018

Thank you so much! Those are some really good suggestions and I'll start utilizing those study tips. Do you recommend taking subtests at different times? Is it possible to pass all subtests in one go?

7. kainca

kainca New Member

Aug 14, 2018

I think others posting in these forums have taken all subtests at one time. I don't believe I could have retained everything I needed to know to pass each subtest if I hadn't have taken each one individually. It helped me to be able to concentrate on the subject matter covered for each subtest and then go on to the next and 'let go' of the information I had just studied. I felt like I was memorizing a lot of the information on subtest I and subtest III.
    I think it really depends on how you learn and retain the information you have to know.

Also, I used almost all of the time allotted to me (I had 20-40 minutes on each subtest to review my answers after finishing each exam, including the extra 15 minutes given for breaks) so sitting for 3 exams straight at 3 1/4 hours each (I think they give you less time if you take all of the exams in one sitting) would have been really difficult.

If you are thinking of trying to study all of the material and take all 3 in one sitting, you might want to save one of the practice exams (on Teachers Test Prep) for each subtest and take all three in one sitting when you finish studying all of the material. I found that when I could pass the second practice exam at over 80 percent plus correctly completing the constructed response questions, that I knew enough to take the state exam.