Has anyone ever heard of....

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by dalia, Jun 12, 2004.

1. dalia

dalia Guest

Jun 12, 2004

I have a friend that observed a 1st grade teacher this Spring and said that the teacher had minimal classroom misbehavior or disruptions, and I asked her what the teacher used as her behavior management technique and she was telling me that the teacher used code words and her fingers to manage her classroom. For example, (the only one I can remember off hand) SALAMI which stands for Stop And Look At Me Immediately, and when a child needs to use the restroom and the teacher is not close by, the child simply raises his index finger and the teacher nods head to let the child know its ok to go to the restroom without the other kids hearing that child and all wanting to go at that very moment. So my question is, has anyone heard of the SALAMI one and if so where can I find the other comands???? Thanks

3. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Jun 12, 2004

I spent about 45 minutes searching, and I found SALAMI over and over, but couldn't find any other ones. I bet if we put our brains together, we could come up with our own. I'll start...

How 'bout this one? CLAW ... Close lips and work!

4. Luv2teach31

Luv2teach31 Guest

Jun 12, 2004

SALAMI

If you haven't heard of Harry Wong, then you need to check out his tips for beginning and experienced educators. He advocates lots of nonverbal behavior management. Once your kids get used to the commands, your classroom is so much quieter.
    I used the five finger rule in my sixth grade classroom: one finger for "I need help," two fingers for sharpening pencil, three fingers for restroom break, and so on. You can modify them according to your needs. I made a large chart with the commands on them so students could refer to them.

5. dalia

dalia Guest

Jun 12, 2004

Re: SALAMI

Thank you both for replying to my question, CLAW is a good one, my problem is that I have to come up with my own for sure since I will spent 75% of my class day teaching in spanish, I will have a 2nd grade bilingual classroom. So I thought simple enghish ones and fairly simple spanish ones should do, but keep sending me ideas I really do appreciate them.

6. lilkidteach

lilkidteach Rookie

Jun 12, 2004

Give me five

I use “Give me five” from Harry Wong. This means

1. Stop
    2. Listen
    3. Look at me
    4. Put everything down
    5. Quiet

This works excellent in my 4-year-old room and also in my school age class that is K-3rd graders. They will stop immediately and raise their hand and wait for me to talk. I really think it helps that your are telling the children exactly what you want them to do when you say your code word.

7. Jun 29, 2004

I also use "give me 5" but with a "Good Listener" poster I found at the teaching supply store:
    1. Eyes are watching
    2. Ears are listening
    3. Lips are closed
    4. Hands are still
    5. Feet are quiet

I have taught Kinder for the last 5 yrs and just started using this last year. I think, by far, it works better than anything else I've tried in the past. This works for all situations, whether we're lining up outside or getting ready for a lesson.

8. jcg

jcg Cohort

Jun 29, 2004

I also use "give me five" and then i also use some simple sign language: yes, no(this works well when having the class respond to a question, such as, "do you see a mistake in this sentence?, so you understand how to solve this problem, etc.), sit, eat, stop. The kids love it and are always asking for more signs.

9. spotter

spotter New Member

Jul 1, 2004

I think all of your ideas are wonderful. I teach high school students and am looking for a technique that can be used for an older crowd of students. I would like to implement a procedure that my students wouldn't think was uncool for them to do. Any suggestions?
    SPotter

10. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Jul 1, 2004

I also use the "give me 5" rule with my kindergarten class and this usually works well, they listen but it can get very old after a while. These are all great ideas, can't wait to try some of them out! Also, here's another one: DEAR= drop everything and read!
    ~Tara

11. Bobbimarie

Bobbimarie Guest

Jul 1, 2004

Soon-to-be second grade teacher

Regarding the message about using hand signals and key words in the first grade classroom - perhaps their school has gone through Diana Day training.
    Our school district is implementing that program. It includes using "big eyes" as a first step to get children to stop misbehaving and moves up the scale from there to having the child switch seats to sit in "Siberia" or "The Think Spot" to reflect on making better learning choices. Out of control children are sent to the office and/or the Opportunity Room (OR) where they continue to do their school work in a very controlled environment.
    The hand signals include some Ms Day has come up with on her own and some actual American Sign Language, like displaying the letter "R" hand sign to signal a need to use the restroom. (Since my own child is deaf, the hand signals come naturally to me, but might feel awkward for some.)
    The Day method also features posting the acronym M.A.P.S. for Material, Attitude, Place (in class) and S for sound level, i.e. voices off, raise hand to be called on, blended voices... The teacher is suppose to list or place symbols next to each letter so that students know, without needing to ask, what is coming up and the supplies they will need.
    As a new teacher, I'm open to using it. However, some of our veteran teachers were not thrilled with the training. Under their breath I heard several express that it was just another gimick that will cost a lot, but not pan out in the end.
    I guess time will tell...

12. skelley

skelley Rookie

Jul 4, 2004

I just saw this on the tips section of a to z. I didn't find any other code words though. Hope it helps.

SALAMI!
    Submitted by: Kim Smead, First
    Kim Smead gets the attention of students and nearby adults by saying, "Salami!" This is the signal for Stop and Listen to Me. A funny word, but it works!

Susanna