Has anyone ever done a soup and hot chocolate them?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by JenK26, Jan 18, 2011.

1. JenK26

JenK26 Rookie

Jan 18, 2011

Hi, one of my themes this month is soup and hot chocolate. I need help with some ideas I can do for center time. Anyone have any ideas?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 18, 2011

I don't know that those two go together but we had an imagination center related to hot chocolate.

Basically we hardened some marshmallows (ie, make them stale) and used beans for the hot chocolate. We had the restaurant looking setup with a pitcher to pour the chocolate, etc. We had a register as well. The kids had to develop a sign that said "Hot Chocolate Shop." You could do this with pictures and pre-printed large words and an example to work by. Then they could draw pictures of steaming hot chocolate and decorate it themselves. They had to practice using polite language and the social skills you would see in a restaurant setting including requests.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2011

You could have them matching soup cans, categorizing soup cans by color, etc. We just either took labels or copied labels.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2011

Never done it... but we make our own chicken stock at home out of a roaster chicken from like a Walmart... You could make it & have them write the recipe.

You could do a collect the soup labels. I don't know if you use them at your school, but you could donate them to a local school that could use them.

You could do a soup label graph. Collect soup label for a week and graph them.

You could graph if children like marshmallows or no marshmallows in their hot chocolate.

6. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jan 18, 2011

count, sort, patterns using vegies, weigh vegies, art-draw or cut out pot or bowl shape & glue magazine pics of soup ingredients
    taste, compare & graph various chocolates (sweet, bitter, semi-sweet, milk, dark, cocoa powder, chocolate syrup, chips, etc), chocolate milk-hot (warm) & cold-taste, compare & graph marshmallows come in a variety of flavors as well now- could count, sort, patterns... art-chocolate pudding finger painting! Hope some of these help!

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 18, 2011

Play veggies for Stone Soup.
    Make real stone soup.
    Copy recipes for hot chocolate
    use brown paint

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2011

jlj.... marshmallows... you could count & graph how many come in the packets...

We used marshmallows... the big ones to paint snowmen. I had the lil ones make a snowman using a pencil & then dip & paint!!! Think like apple prints

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2011

The first thing that occurred to me was the story "Stone Soup."

10. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Jan 19, 2011

Here are some ideas:

books:
    Growing Vegetable Soup
    Carrot Soup
    Soup Day

Songs:
    Animal Crackers in my soup
    Making Stone Soup Song http://www.preschoolexpress.com/music_station05/music_station_nov05.shtml

Art:
    vegetable print
    use glue and then sprinkle hot chocolate mix on it
    marshmellow and toothpick sculptures

Science:
    Growing lima beans etc.

Dramatic Play:
    Hot chocolate shop
    Soup Restaurant

11. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 19, 2011

You could have a math center for the cups of hot chocolate. Write different numbers on the cups. The children have to glue on the correct number of (paper) marshmallows.

12. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

14. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 19, 2011

We have done the hot choc theme with painting with choc scented paint (add baking choc to paint), choc in the sens table (flour/salt table with a healthy amount of baking choc in it) and a baking project of brownies. We have made the store like the above poster, down to the making of the sign. However we used cotton balls since my group is young and it would not only be a snack.....but a germ infested choking hazzard. But totally fun!!!

We put the proper number of "marshmellows" in cups with snow men on them.

We stamped on an M with the mellows.

it was a lot of fun.

We do a soup theme in Nov. Sorting veggies, stone soup story and flannel board, compare the other versions of that tale (catus soup is one). Bring in an item, graph the items and eat!!!

For soical emotional skills there is an angry soup book where you are screaming into the pot.

For letter recognition we ladle magnet letters out of a trick or treat bucket shaped like a cauldron.