Has a student ever had a crush on you?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by orangetea, Dec 3, 2012.

1. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2012

I have a student that comes by after school to volunteer to help out, that comes to extra help a lot (even though he has no questions), and that likes to hang out after class to talk about things (not related to math). At first, I didn't think anything of it, but I'm starting to wonder if he has a crush on me (or maybe I'm just being paranoid). I'm not sure how to handle this situation. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 3, 2012

Once back when I was a substitute & used to sub quite often for this one teacher, there was a 2nd grade boy who'd say to me, "I love you" whenever I'd work with him. I even worked with him a bit the following year & he behaved regularly as if he never said those things in the past...he was growing up! He was a cute kid & always followed directions.

If any other kid's had a crush on me, I didn't know it.

4. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Dec 3, 2012

When I was doing my fieldwork last semester, my good friend's younger brother was in one of my classes. My friend, through her brother, found out that a student put a picture of me teaching on Facebook. She sent me the link and a bunch of students had commented on it, mostly harmlessly, but three or four had posted specifically about my, erm, appeal. Of course I had to act like I knew nothing about it so it ended up being kind of awkward especially when those students would come to extra help.

As long as he doesn't push the boundaries, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Phenom

Dec 3, 2012

I'm the only 20 something male in the school working with hormonal 13 year olds and I don't think I'm hideous so yeah, I've had numerous student crushes even though it's only my first real year. (Had some when I interned too.) I could be wrong but I think I've even had boys that have had crushes on me, judging by an awkward conversation a student began having with me.

I always make sure my door is wide open, and sometimes if I only have one student in my classroom, I will talk to them out in the hallway. It's par for the course by now and the girls who were flirty at the beginning of the year know I'm all business by now and that even if I look young, I'm really not interested in being their friend, and am instead their mentor.

I knew a teacher in High School that would flirt back with the girls and he would constantly do inappropriate things even though he was married.

6. Math

Math Cohort

Dec 3, 2012

I know two teachers like that in my school. :whistle:

7. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Dec 3, 2012

It could be a crush, but it could also be a student who is craving attention and has "latched on" to you, for one reason or another :)

Either way, definitely keep your classroom door open at all times. Other than that, just keep it professional! :)

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2012

I had a kid who would always say "so Ms. W, when are we going on a date?" I would either respond "that's inappropriate" or "I don't date children" depending on whether I was grumpy or not.

He wasn't serious. I didn't think it was a big deal. He was a real class clown.

9. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2012

I've got one who wants me to be his mom. He even calls me mom...or tries to, and tries to convince the other children that I am his mother. (third grade)

10. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2012

I had a fifth grader who wasn't doing his homework and was struggling academically. Suddenly he started doing his homework (his mom said he did it as soon as he got home) and improved in academic areas. I asked his mom what the secret was, and she said he had a crush on me! Guess it worked to his advantage! LOL!

11. teachart

teachart Comrade

Dec 4, 2012

Yes, and I'm still shocked by it. I had a high school placement and there were 3 art teachers. I was primarily with one teacher but observed the others, and there was a boy in the other class that had a crush on me. He would always say hello and then he was in the hallway when I was leaving the school one day and started asking me if I was single and what I was doing after I graduated. I told him that I was in the school as a teacher, and he needed to treat me like one. That the questions he was asking were inappropriate. He said I was just so beautiful and I repeated that he needed to treat me like a teacher. I felt incredibly mean but I wasn't expecting to have to deal with that and my main cooperating teacher said I did the right thing. I didn't observe his class after that, which was probably the wrong thing to do but I didn't want it to come up again.

12. blazer

blazer Groupie

Dec 4, 2012

I work with a teaching assistant who is in her late 40s. She was a student at my school back in the day. She had a crush on her Maths teacher when she was 15! Guess what, he was still working a the school when she got thejob. Love really lasts, she couldn't stay in the same room as him and would blush uncontrollaby whenever they passed in the corridor. We were then joined by a lab tech who had also been in the same year at school as the TA and she also had had a crush on the same teacher! However she was over it!

I have had the occassional girl taking aliking to me. If I find out I inform the school ouncillors who take them on one side and warn them off. (or get them therapy)! LOL

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2012

I must be oblivious to things that like because if a kid ever did, I never knew.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Dec 4, 2012

The only students who ever took a fancy to me have been gay middle school boys. I've always found that unusual.

15. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Dec 4, 2012

I had a boy (8th grader) tell me today, "Ms. BumbleB, I really don't want to come off as inappropriate or creepy, but I think you're really pretty".

I just said, "thank you" and went about my work haha. He was totally saying it in an innocent, child-like way. Not a creepy hormone-fueled teen way.

16. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2012

Thanks everyone.

I guess I'll just continue making sure the door is open when I'm alone with this student. I'm not sure what else I can do.

17. physteach

physteach Companion

Dec 4, 2012

I had one student who said to me "I want you to know that I am more mature than the rest of the 11th graders. What are you doing this weekend? Maybe I can join you."

Errrr...he was one I always reminded to move quickly to his next class!

18. microbe

microbe Comrade

Dec 4, 2012

I look very young for my age (I'm 25 but most people think I'm 17-18) and I always make sure to wear very conservative and professional clothing to make up for this.

Regardless, I regularly have high school and middle school boys giving me inappropriate comments or rudely and obviously staring at my chest. I'm not entirely certain if they're doing this because they enjoy testing the boundaries with substitute teachers or if they're genuinely this rude to all young, female teachers.

In any case, I think the children in this district need some education in sexual harassment. Sometimes it's downright terrible.

19. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2012

When I started teaching I was 21, I had a 19 year old senior follow me around the High school. Since I was teaching at more than one school (4) she would plan her drivers ed route so she would pass me while I drove to the next school. I also had a kindergarden teacher at my last school of the day who had a crush on me and I was engaged! Talk about being cursed with good looks :lol:

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2012

I'm considerably older that the mothers of most of my students, so no.

21. Accountable

Accountable Companion

Dec 5, 2012

The closest I came to a crush was when one of my students told me I remind her of her late grandfather.

One of our little thuglets acted similar to the kindergartner mentioned earlier. Her first freshman year she wore wild makeup, hoochie-mama skirts, and got into lots fights. This year I noticed that she was dressing much more appropriately, and actually walked away from a fight (a huge risk socially). When I asked her why, she told me that she likes her history teacher, so she dresses to impress and tries to keep out of trouble so she won't miss her time with him.

Crushes can be good.