Harry Wong's "The First Days of School"-Still relevant?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, Jun 30, 2017.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2017

Do you all think Wong's book is still relevant and pertinent to today? Or, is it just to common sense and well known?

SageScience likes this.
  3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 30, 2017

I don't remember all of it as it's been about a decade since I read it, but what I do remember I still use. I think reading multiple professional books and taking the best from each make people better teachers, so I would still recommend it.

czacza, bella84 and TamiJ like this.
  4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2017

Thanks!

5. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Jul 1, 2017

I still have my copy. I honestly haven't flipped through it in a while, but that's because I've been teaching long enough now that I can usually figure out how to solve my problems myself. But in the beginning, I found the book very helpful.
    The book is good to me because when there are times that I just can't get a handle on something, it's usually best to go back to the basics and start over. Because what happens over the years is that I'm pretty sure a lot of Wong's advice is at the base of my classroom management, but it has undoubtedly been adapted and changed throughout the years. So it's good to go back and see the original advice and methods and start from there again.

6. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jul 1, 2017

I think that it's probably common sense to most teachers with experience, therefore making it irrelevant to us. However, for new teachers just starting out, I think it's one of the most important books they can read. I think this is particularly true if they are in a pre-service program that does not emphasize the importance of classroom management. If I was making a list of books for newbie teachers to read the summer before they start in their first classroom, I would definitely include it on the list!

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 1, 2017

For the first 4 or 5 years I taught, I reviewed that book each summer. I never implemented all of it, but just the reminder to establish routines and procedures, as well as greeting every student at the door, and working on forming relationships with the students and their families. I don't need the reminder now, because I know what works!

czacza likes this.
  8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jul 1, 2017

My DH and I went to see him last summer. Still relevant. It's mainly common sense kinds of,procedures, which really never go out of fashion.

9. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Jul 1, 2017

I'm gonna get Fred Jones' "Tools For Teaching" again. Again since I misplaced my copy that I bought in 2013!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2017

I did this too!

11. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2017

There are things about it I like but even more I honestly don't like the longer I teach. The entire section on building worksheets with objectives is pretty bad (which is like what? 1/3rd of the book?) I also think he takes procedures way too far - at least for secondary school. By that age kids know most basic routines. I don't need to practice how to use a pencil sharpener with 7th graders.

I do love his first day seating chart trick and I've used that to great success for all 15 years of my teaching and the general idea of having an orderly but friendly classroom is obviously great. The nuts and bolts just need updating in my opinion.

MichelleH likes this.
  12. MichelleH

MichelleH Rookie

Jul 7, 2017

I've come to believe that common sense isn't so common. Nevertheless, I think Wong's book is a bit outdated, and there are more applicable and updated books out there. Lemov's Teach Like a Champion, in my opinion, is a much better starting place and is what I steer most of my newer colleagues to these days.

13. WordLover

WordLover Rookie

Jul 11, 2017

I've recently finished a replacement leave position, having been hired just out of grad school. I wish I had known of Wong's and Lemov's books before. I now have my slides together for my next job (the ones we use to train and set rules and procedures). As a sub, I've observed the classes of some experienced teachers - ones that lack management skills. Even those teachers need Wong.