Hard Lockdows

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2017

As a teacher, I know that hard lockdown drills are important to do. Kids are better at doing what they need to do when they have a chance to practice.

As a parent of a preschooler, I hate these drills. My kid's school had one today and my kid was terrified, like sobbing and scared, even after it was over. When the nanny arrived at pick-up, my kid was still crying and basically ran to the nanny's car asking (crying) if something bad was going to happen while they were outside. Hearing this makes my heart break. :(

I'm not really asking a question or anything. Just sharing, I suppose.

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

Aug 31, 2017

Do they explain to the kids that it is just a drill, and the purpose of the drill? I would think that to be important.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2017

I'm sure that they do. The teachers in my kid's program are excellent. But my kid is 3.

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Habitué

Aug 31, 2017

I work with 3- to 5-year-olds and we always explain it to them in a way they can understand. It's nothing new in the area we live in though. We have real lockdowns instead of drills. One day last year, we had a hard lockdown that lasted over an hour. We were stuffed/locked in the bathroom of our classroom. We have soft lockdowns more than hard lockdowns so the kids don't even notice most of the time. It's a sad world we live in. When I was a kid, we only had tornado drills & fire drills . Now we have tornado, fire, earthquake, soft lockdown, & hard lockdown.

6. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Aug 31, 2017

I work with highschool students and hate these as well. Many students are made VERY upset. They understand on one level that it is a drill, but...really? Do we really need these? Sigh. I hate these drills. I try to use them as a reminder of how our classroom is a safe place and the school thinks of all sorts of ways to keep them safe. But really - kinder and pre k do these drills? Oh man, I'm so sorry. That just seems far too scary for little ones.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2017

I for one find these drills rediculous but we still have to do it.

In reality, no one will ever walk through a school on a weekday and see lights out and doors locked and think "i guess there was no school today". Especially if it's a student who practices the same drills.

It's about slowing them down I guess, but again in reality, police wouldn't go in right away anyway, so who are we really kidding?

Obadiah likes this.
  8. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Aug 31, 2017

Oh, and we have had real lockdowns I guess the soft kind? Just stay in room until we aer told it's all clear and one time we had to evacuate due to crime in building. But the drills are FAR more scary. Go figure.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2017

Sorry your little one was scared today. Hopefully hugs and kisses at home helped.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2017

Our district differentiates between hard and soft lockdowns. During soft lockdowns, it's business as usual except that students can't leave the room. These lockdowns are for situations where the students will be safe inside their classrooms, like if there's a swarm of bees or pack of wild coyotes on campus or if EMTs need to get a gurney through clear hallways in order to get to a person who is having a medical emergency. During hard lockdowns, we lock the doors and hide. These are for more critical situations where there may be an intruder on campus.

My school had an actual hard lockdown that turned into a soft lockdown a couple of years ago. It started at about 1 PM and lasted until after 8 PM. My kid would probably have a straight up panic attack if that were to happen again. Poor kid. :(

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2017

We call soft drills "shelter in place" and we also practice hard lockdowns as well as evacuation drills and fire drills. Ugh...

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2017

I sure hope they did. Kid told me that there was an "emergency call" at school, no mention of tears or being scared. I don't want this to be something that seems like no big deal but pops up later as some huge trigger or something, you know? Either way, I'm not going to make a big deal of it or talk about it unless it gets brought up again.

13. Sab

Sab Companion

Aug 31, 2017

One of the schools I student taught at decided to get rid of lockdown drills because A) they're stressful for the kids) and B) they're just unnecessary and unrealistic. Someone came in to train us on what to if there were actually an active shooter and they basically told us in almost no circumstance would you want to stay in the classroom. Even if the gunshots were very nearby you'd be much better off running. I feel like that's the way to go.

physteach and AlwaysAttend like this.
  14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2017

I don't disagree with you, but we still have to do what admin tells us, at least during the drills. Until admin, or really the district, changes the procedure, we're stuck with the drills.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  15. Sab

Sab Companion

Aug 31, 2017

True, it's unfortunate.

16. Obadiah

Obadiah Habitué

Sep 1, 2017

I'm not saying I totally disagree with hard lockdown drills; the purpose of a drill is to condition students to behave a certain way. I do agree with AlwaysAttend, though, an intruder will be aware that everyone's hiding. (Due to security, I can't reveal my school's procedures). I think we need to continually rethink our procedures and plans, use creative thinking, and prepare for the unpreparable.

I agree with Caesar, this is very frightening to children and overly traumatic. I remember becoming frightened as a child during 1960's TV commercials about how to proceed to a fallout shelter, and I recall talking with my mom after each commercial. Every time a "special report" interrupted my cartoons, I recall becoming tense, wondering if it was a report about the need to go to the nearest shelter--(I knew where it was by the way. It was in the basement of the local post office). I think we need to explain the situation to children on a need to know basis, enough information to which they'll be safe but usually we don't have to give all the shocking details, either--the same way we explain other mature information. After such a drill or talk, the most important procedure is to can the rest of the lessons if necessary and listen. The kids will need an opportunity to talk and ask questions. Not every question needs specifically answered, same as any questions that are asked that are too mature to answer in a classroom situation. But they need an opportunity to vent. They also need an opportunity for play, a child's natural venting process; much therapy occurs while climbing or swinging on swings. OK, it's going to wreck that day's lessons, but to not concern ourselves with the child's feelings, frustrations and fears is to make the drill itself null and void. Unresolved trauma will rest in the brain, and then during a real lockdown, the upper brain will be less likely to override the lower brain's reaction. In other words, those children will be most likely to panic.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Sep 1, 2017

We have all sorts of drills--fire, tornado, earthquake, evacuation due to threats, lockdown. We also have shelter-in-place drills where we have to turn off the ventilation system and seal ourselves in the building. We are downwind of a government nerve gas storage facility.

18. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2017

Can i say that i would love watching a drill wHere kids had to duct tape all the areas air could enter the room. That sounds like a fun drill lol. I assume they don't go that far.

19. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 1, 2017

I always tell my kids we're playing a schoolwide game of hide and seek. My third graders always appreciated having something else to think about, and my fifth graders see lockdown drills as the pointless exercises they are.

20. Obadiah

Obadiah Habitué

Sep 2, 2017

Woah! Wait a minute. Did I read this correctly? Nerve gas storage???? No, I'm not doubting your word, but I am doubting the logic in storing up something as horrific as nerve gas. I'm assuming you teach in the U.S. I thought such weapons were considered illegal by the U.S. Wow! This post is really giving me the willies. At the same time, it's causing me to consider realistically the many, many tragedies we need to be prepared for and attempt to avoid. I'm also thinking of the unthinkable conditions many are trying to survive in, currently in other countries. I've read several books recounting such experiences.

This just reinforces in my mind the utter importance of our mission. The more students learn, the more likely they will grow into respectable adults. The more students read, the more they will understand other's feelings, actual factual information, and logical thinking. The more proficiently students understand mathematics, the more likely they will be to correctly interpret data.

No, education isn't perfect. Knowledge might be power, and power can always be misused. But people also "die for lack of knowledge." It's often the student who is allowed to struggle in school who falls prey to dope dealers, which is why in my area we have to tell children not to pick up discarded hypodermic needles. It's why my friend's drug store was held up at gunpoint last year and my other friend came home to find his house robbed. Furthermore, It's the people who can't think critically who believe the many forms of propaganda prevalent in today's world. It's the people who don't think mathematically who are persuaded by exaggerated statistics.

I'm ranting on and on, I realize that, but the point I'm trying to make is this. More important than lockdown drills is unlocking education to all, trying our best to ensure that students learn to the best of their ability. An educated society is a thinking society. And that is why TEACHERS are the most important resource we have against crime and war.

21. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2017

I looked online and saw we've eliminated about 90% of our chemical weapons and are on pace to finish by 2023.