Hansel & Gretel - to read or not to read

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherSandra, Apr 22, 2011.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2011

it's a classic and I read it as a child; but I'm wondering if anyone here uses it in your classroom and with what age group. Or has it been "banned" in the classroom?

3. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Apr 22, 2011

Fairy tales are covered in an earlier year in my district, so I don't read many traditional fairy tales with my students. I have never been made aware of a banned book list in my district, so I think I would be okay to use it. Why is it banned, because it has a witch or because they kill the witch?

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 22, 2011

I read it every year as part of our fairy tale/myth/tall tale, etc unit. I'm curious also about why it would be banned. I hadn't heard of any issues with it.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 22, 2011

It is pretty scary-as many fairy tales are, but this contains abandoning and then trying to eat children. One of my kids just found a copy on our bookshelf-not sure where it came from. I read through it and that version was bland enough that I allowed her to keep reading it. I've never used it for a class lesson, but I teach very young kids.

6. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2011

It's a fairy tale...read it!

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Apr 23, 2011

The majority of my Preschoolers would be upset & afraid by/with the story and I know I'd be questioned by their parents.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 23, 2011

Wow- I would never have dreamed of there being issues with Hansel and Gretel. I still have the little Golden Book of it that I got for my 4th birthday (it's written in the cover). I have many memories of my mom reading it to me.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 23, 2011

I remember having a few versions on my bookshelf when I was a kid. I loved that story and I know my mom read it to be before I started school. I was never scared by it.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2011

I can't find it on any 'banned' list.:dizzy:

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

12. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Apr 24, 2011

Hmmm - funny I don't cover it when I do fairy tales, but I never thought of why... I suppose there are PLENTY of other ones you can do and you just have to use your own discretion... I do think you CAN read it if you want and just remind them it's a MADE UP story and not real (there aren't really witches, nobody's parents would leave them alone in the woods, etc.).

13. round stanley

round stanley Companion

Apr 25, 2011

Halpey1 is correct. There are plenty of other ones out there. If it isn't essential to your teaching go with something milder.

14. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2011

The little Golden Book version is very different than the original Grimm's version.

All of the Grimm's Fairy Tales were gruesome and are probably not used in many classrooms.

15. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2011

16. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2011

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 27, 2011

I've never read any of the original Grimm's tails to my class, but I have discussed them with them. We discuss why the stories were changed and we also talk about Disney's Pocahontas vs the real story.

18. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2011

Hold on a sec. Those kids were bad. They vandalized an old ladies house, and then tried to kill her by pushing her in the oven.

They go on trial in my class, along with another juvenile delinquent, Jack of the Beanstalk fame.

He stole things that did not belong to him, and then tried to kill the person who they belonged to. He also is guilty of breaking and entering.

And let's not get started on Goldilocks. Breaking and entering and destruction of personal property.

19. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2011

What I remember about Hansel and Gretel is that he (Hansel) left bread crumbs along the trail so they could later follow them home. The birds ate the crumbs and so they became lost. (Dumb kids should have had a compass and a good Topo map.)

I have one up on Hansel ....... I use a Garmin Vista Etrex handheld GPS with the ability to record "tracks." The birds have no interest in my GPS, so the "tracks" are safe...... and I can therefore get back to my jeep or home........ So there ......... (Sorry folks, it's happy hour here in Colorado) :lol:

20. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Apr 27, 2011

I used the original Grimm version of Red Riding Hood in my class this year and my students were stunned. It was not at all like they had heard as little kids. I wouldn't use the original version but would find a much tamer one

21. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 27, 2011

My own kids never liked the story much until they saw the opera. Then they thought it was super cool, which led to me getting them an edition of Grimm's Fairy Tales, which they love. Of course, I wasn't teaching a class full of kids, and I know my own kids well enough to know their tolerances for scary stuff. I don't know that I'd teach those versions to anybody much under middle school. The "Little Golden Books" version are another matter entirely.