Handwriting

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Tulips, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Tulips

Tulips Rookie

Sep 13, 2007

One of my students has very poor handwriting; he is able to do nice handwriting but doesn't take the time to do it (I teach a combo classroom so I had him last year and know his capabilities). He seems unaffected if he has to redo it or even to bring it home and do it and redo it. Does any one have a suggestion as to what I could do to improve his handwriting legibility?

3. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 14, 2007

I've done a few things that might help. To start put one of those foam pencil covers on the bottom of his pencils, and show him where his 3 fingers go, he may be holding the pencil weird. Next I used to use a yellow highligher and go over the top and bottom black line (or blue lines) of dotted lined paper so he could see them better and not to go over lines. It took only a minute. Thirdly, for really awful kids (I had one who shook, I think he was a drug baby) I actually printed really lightly one sentence a day for him to go right over darker with pencil. And then I added the alphabet and his first name. It only took a minute a day. We'd do it together during silent reading. He did get a lot better by year's end. If you have any parent helpers, I utilized them to help me during writing time working 1 on 1 with my little tiny shaker. He was very low in all subjects. He did improve a lot though.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2007

I agree that maybe he's not holding his pencil correctly, but if you had him last year, then you would know how he was holding his pencil. Do you teach cursive to your grade 2s? I had a student in 2nd grade last year who had horrible print handwriting, but when we got started in cursive, he had the most beautiful handwriting I've seen from a male.

5. Tulips

Tulips Rookie

Sep 14, 2007

We do cursive but first we go through the whole alphabet in manuscript. I don't think he holds the pencil incorrectly, but it is about the care in doing a good job. I have seen good work but it is few and far between. Thanks for all the ideas...I will try to incorporate them.

6. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Sep 14, 2007

Try using raised line paper! Our LR teacher ordered it. The kids can feel the lines and they actually stop the writing from going out of bounds more easily! The lines are darker too! I actually saw tablets of this paper at Walmart!