Handwriting Cursive Style: Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by BreezyGirl, Jun 23, 2015.

1. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jul 5, 2015

^ That's so sad. I know there are pros to Common Core but at the same time, I am NOT a fan, and I'm finding more and more reasons to.. not like it

2. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 5, 2015

I agree with you. Even for signatures, your signature can be any way you want. It doesn't have to be perfect cursive letters to be a signature. For things like the ACT statement, my proctor told us we could just connect the print letters if we didn't know how to write in cursive. I did learn cursive in school, but haven't used it since my teachers quit requiring it (if I'm remembering correctly, I believe we were allowed to go back to printing in 5th grade). When I was taught cursive the reasoning was that it's faster to write that way and you can take notes faster. Personally that was never true for me- I was always very slow with writing in cursive, and sometime in the near future I think most older students will be taking notes by typing anyway (which is significantly faster than handwriting of any kind). My school doesn't teach it because it's not in the standards. I do think being able to read it is more important than writing with it, but that's not in the standards either, so to my knowledge it's not being taught.

For the OP's question, I think the suggestion of sending home optional homework for those that want to learn is a good one.

3. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Jul 5, 2015

Thank you all so much! Since all of my kidlets have been taught handwriting, I'm not going to teach it. I will, however, offer a booklet for them to take home. I could even have a fun activity for them to do with it. Once I compete my yearly overview, I will work out extras. :)

4. cybergal5184

cybergal5184 Rookie

Jul 21, 2015

Love seeing the regional differences. My students should definitely be able to read it but as long as I can red their handwriting it doesn't matter in my class. Of course, there is a wide variance from kid to kid.

5. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Jan 23, 2018

(This may be an old thread, but I have learned in the past, that adding on to an old thread almost always revives it.)
    After I teach handwriting, most students get to learn cursive.
    Even if the curriculum did not call for it, I still teach cursive.

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 25, 2018

I like cursive. I don't know if it's necessary to write in these days, but I do believe it's a good thing to know how to read because likely students will come across original documents in cursive. It will give them an edge on certain things.

vickilyn likes this.
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Jan 25, 2018

Ditto. If you don't want to use it, so be it. However, a very significant portion of global citizens do write in cursive, so being able to read cursive seems important to me. I would hate to think that my family's history, played out in letters, cards, and other cursive documents, could be lost to me if I was unable to read those documents.