Handwriting Cursive Style: Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by BreezyGirl, Jun 23, 2015.

1. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Jun 23, 2015

A debatable topic... One that I am curious about.

I am deciding if I'm going to add a small amount of handwriting time for my 5/6 class this fall. It seems that half do and half don't.

I have two daughters... 14 and 10. Both loved their daily cursive lessons. Even now, they prefer to use cursive in school.

Share your thoughts! :)

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jun 23, 2015

One of the 5th grade teachers at the school I student taught at said her students WANTED to learn cursive, so she made it an optional homework thing.
    I'm all for teaching cursive, but I was one of the kids that loved handwriting practice. If anything, it teaches proper letter formation in some way and I think that's always helpful because there are so many kids who don't really learn how to write letters at all and come up with bizarre ways to write them.

I think teaching it is great, but maybe don't require everything to be written in cursive. Especially because there ARE things that do require cursive (like the end of the ACT) and it's helpful to learn how to write it so they can also read it (it hurts my heart to hear kids say, "I can't read cursive!")

4. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Jun 23, 2015

I forgot to mention I'm in Canada, so no requirement to write in cursive. In my class, students can print or use cursive. My only requirement is that if they use cursive, it must be neat. I've had many use cursive on their spelling tests and I couldn't read the words! So, print or cursive, totally their choice.

When I write on the whiteboard, I always print. However, I do put the date in both. So many can't read script. Computer fonts have script options which kids love to use. But, so many can't read it.

Decisions!!!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2015

I teach cursive in grade 3. Cursive is a delivery system for getting thoughts down on paper in a fluid and fluid manner

Backroads likes this.
  6. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Jun 23, 2015

Grade 3 is when both of my girls learned cursive. Not all teachers teach it. I have been in Grade 6 classes where the kids didn't learn it. I will see how many of my students know how. I had them all when I subbed, so I know that a few can. And, the others are very capable. I could even do a couple short lessons a week.

Ideally, I would like students to recognize the letters so they can read it. And, I would love for them to use script as they may really enjoy it. I find it quite soothing. It's definitely quicker than printing.

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 24, 2015

They don't teach cursive at my school. I had a few kids this year who couldn't read it, and they actually came from other schools, which tells me it's not very common around here. It was really strange to me that they couldn't even read it. As for an answer to your question, honestly, with all the other stuff I am trying to fit in on a daily basis and the amount of content we are expected to cover, I can't see making time for cursive instruction. I feel like that needs to be done in 3rd grade if at all.

If I had kids who wanted to learn it, I would probably make it an optional homework thing like miss-m mentioned.

8. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Jun 24, 2015

Good point! I am thinking some may already know how. If they really want to practice, I can give them a booklet. :)

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2015

None of my grade 7 and 8 students this year used cursive; last year, I had one or two who tried, but it was difficult to read. A couple of our grade 3 and 4 teachers incorporate some cursive practice, but there is not requirement that they use it.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 24, 2015

At the very least, they should learn how to READ cursive. Can you imagine coming across a letter or other document from someone generations back and not being able to decipher it?

Backroads likes this.
  11. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

Jun 24, 2015

As others have said, I mostly see this being taught in 3rd. I also have seen a lot of students who wish they could read/write cursive.
    I would probably make it an extra time filler and just introduce the letters one at a time whenever you have a few minutes. Then when you have done that, let kids work on words/sentences any time.

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2015

We had to write everything in cursive my 5th grade year. Please teach kids cursive. I have students not w who not only can't sign their name (they print it instead) they also can't read cursive. While I will never write in cursive, I'm glad I know how to read it! (And how to sign my name!)

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Jun 24, 2015

I have students who can't write cursive, but when push comes to shove, they can read cursive. Granted, the teachers who don't ever write in cursive are better for the ELLs in the classroom, but I seldom put anything up in cursive that isn't typed somewhere else, so I do use cursive on the board. I have also gone so far as to tell HS students that they must learn to sign their name, at the very least for things that require a signature, but the truth is that many of the things we are certain they need to write in cursive mostly just accept that the majority will print. The truth is that I won't bug them about it in HS, so if you want it to change, sooner is much better than later. If we accept that this is the age of the digital learner, and they are typing instead of writing by hand, then we should accept that they are used to being able to change fonts as easily as they change their clothes, and maybe focus on just being able to read cursive, since those fonts may/will show up on documents they may wish to read.

14. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Jun 24, 2015

All excellent things to consider! I could do a review and offer booklets to students who are interested. Hmmm.... Decisions to be made! I will check with the school too as it is k-12. Maybe the high school teachers there want script writing.

I am thinking that if students choose to do extra work they should get recognition for it. :)

15. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 24, 2015

My guess is that in high school, they will want most things typed. I may get flamed for this, but I truly believe typing is a MUCH more important skill than cursive.

I do think students should be able to read in cursive.

But I stand by what I said before, even if others feel cursive is important - I DO NOT HAVE TIME. That's really all it comes down to. In 5th grade, we have SO MUCH content. We can barely fit in all of math, science, and social studies. Handwriting just is not happening.

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Jun 24, 2015

Read it - yes! Type well - yes, yes!! Right (write?) on!! :lol:

17. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Jun 24, 2015

Grade 5 curriculum here is crazy busy too! I do love it, though. I will see where they are at when school starts. I know several use script, so the teacher has probably taught them. I am more concerned about them reading in cursive. They can print all year. They don't have to use cursive. It would be interested to see how parents feel about it. As a Mom, I love that my girls learned how. If they didn't do it in school, I would have taught them. But they just love it. It is time consuming, though.

18. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jun 25, 2015

I'm really sad that some schools don't teach cursive anymore. It was a huge unit in 2nd Grade! By the time I got to 5th Grade, our teacher wanted us to write in cursive only.
    Learning to type is important but so is writing/reading cursive.
    If my future children don't get taught cursive in school, I plan on teaching them this important skill at home

19. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Jun 25, 2015

I was at my daughter's last day of school assembly. They were honouring a teacher who was retiring after 45 years. Some of her Grade 5 students wrote her notes that were read during the assembly. One student said she was the best teacher because she taught her how to write in cursive. :)

I'm going to come up with a way where my students can write and read it. I know a few can already, so I'll see where they are at when school starts. I won't spend hours on it, but I'll figure out a way to include it.

20. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Jun 29, 2015

Yay! I spoke to the teacher from the previous year and she has taught them cursive. She said both grades know it and that they would all write it.

I will do a quick review and away we go. :)

21. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 5, 2015

I don't teach it because it's not a CCSS and I barely have enough time to meet standards. I hate that I don't teach it, though!