Halloweeners

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by a2z, Oct 31, 2014.

1. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 31, 2014

Wow! Tonight has been a surprisingly busy night. Maybe it is because it is Friday and the weather is fair.

I'm not sure if I should be disappointed we are running out of candy or not! :lol:

I saw 2 homemade robot costumes out of boxes. Also saw a lobster.

What is the best costume you saw tonight?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2014

I've got loads left over here. I just turned our lights out since there hasn't been a knock on the door for almost half an hour. Probably fewer than 50 kids on this cold, rainy night.

4. Securis

Securis Cohort

Oct 31, 2014

Our community has a 2 hour window. After 8, it's over. We still have some candy The best costumes, a baseball and a candy corn made from foam insulation.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 31, 2014

Didn't see anyone out trick-or-treating.

It's been like that for a few years now.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 31, 2014

A mad scientist who will cure ebola was my favorite. He was about 8. We had 7 Elsa's.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 31, 2014

I had a pretty cute Swedish Chef. He even came home with me!

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 31, 2014

We didn't expect many, as the house is up a substantial hill on a kind of dark cup-de-sac. We had exactly one family with two kids. They were super cute though. The little girl (3ish) was a bunny and the little boy (4ish) was a tiger. The little girl tripped coming up the stairs, spilling some of her candy and the boy shouted "Candy Down!", making all the adults giggle.

My boys had a good time. They went down the hill where there's a reasonably flat few blocks. The youngest insisted on using his walker instead of his wheelchair, so they had to come in after about 40 minutes, as the youngest's legs gave out. They did have one small problem with one woman trying to scold them for "making fun of old people". My eldest pointed out to her that the walker actually belonged to the child, and he needed it, and it was decorated by mom (with a bunch of glow in the dark bracelets) to make it visible. He said she looked properly chastised and scurried off. Other than that, they had a great time, with people going out of their way to make sure the youngest got his fair share even if he couldn't make it up hills or stairs or through narrow gates.

9. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 1, 2014

Thanks for the replies!

We had one family, yes family, dress as the Incredibles. It was fun to see.

I am always amazed at the ingenuity of some of the kids that trick or treat.

All the kids were very respectful, with saying trick or treat, please, thank you multiple times.

mmswm, I'm happy that your older son set that woman straight. Unfortunately, there has been a FB and I think Huffington Post article floating around that has small children dressing up as old folks with walkers for Halloween. I'm sorry that actions by thoughtless (those who decided an old person Halloween costume was funny) people impacted people who have very real disabilities. I'm happy to hear your children had fun.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2014

It was snowing and felt like 25 here. After raining all day. I live in an apartment with locked outer doors, so no trick-or-treaters. I watched a few walking to a subdivision across the street. I saw several with short sleeves without coats. I'm talking 6-8 years old. Parent can be idiots.

Despite the crummy weather, my mom had the most she's ever had since moving to her house a few years ago. She had three. :lol: The neighborhood we grew up in always had a few hundred.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 1, 2014

Ah, the 1st night for it to rain since the start of the yr & it rains on H. night...it was great!

I didn't see one soul in a costume & no one knocked on my door...or anyone else's around me, from what I can tell. :D

12. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Nov 1, 2014

We had a total of 12 trick-or-treaters. Our numbers have dropped off by about 75% in the past few years.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2014

My team dressed as superhero teachers in school. So fun.dh took care of the after school trick or treaters. Started to rain a bit in early evening which curtailed the amount of trick or treaters traveling around the neighborhood.

14. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 1, 2014

I know around here many of the churches now have activities on Halloween. Some are Halloween themed and others are not. Many families decide to participate that way. Then you have the malls that do trick or treating.

Compared to 15 years ago the trick or treaters has really dwindled, but there are still about 50 -75 that come depending on the evening. It used to be crazy with non-stop kids coming up to the door. The number of kids in the neighborhood didn't drop, but the option for kids have changed.

15. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Nov 1, 2014

I saw lots of cool costumes though the majority were on adults! Saw some crazy stuff but the cutest was a group of friends dressed up as the characters from Bob's Burgers.

I tried to meet up with two friends for a late night drink after the party I attended and EVERYWHERE was packed, no places to sit, crazy traffic bc of people walking around. We had to go to four different bars before finding a place. I did enjoy seeing everyone out though!

16. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Nov 1, 2014

I live near Chicago, we had the worst Halloween weather in 20 years. At my school we had to call it a Harvest party not a Halloween party to be PC.

17. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 1, 2014

I was at the hospital for the evening, so we didn't get to hand out treats this year. My wife had surgery over a week ago, and needed to have a possible infection checked out.

18. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 1, 2014

I'm so sorry to hear that, monsieurteacher. I hope that the medical treatment she received will put her on the right track to heal quickly.

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2014

Hugs, mt.

Our crappy weather is exactly what I remembered as a kid. It snowed on Halloween a lot.

I was listening to a radio show the other morning, and the deejay predicted that trick-or-treating door to door will be gone within the next 10 years. He had a lot of reasons- laziness for several reasons. It is too much work to hit 100 or more houses. Kids are done after 20-30. They don't have the stamina because they play more video games than physical activity. Trunk-or-treat makes it easy to get a ton of candy quickly without walking far.

He may just be right. Which is sad.

20. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 1, 2014

I hope not! We had about 150 kids this year!

21. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 1, 2014

I don't think trunk-or-treat is as much about getting as much as a kid can with less walking as it is events run by people who you know rather than going to strangers houses who although in your neighborhood you know very little about.

I think lack of trust is driving the downturn of kids showing up at houses.