Halloween!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsC, Oct 31, 2014.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2014

We'll try to squeeze in a bit of learning between all of the "events" of the day. We're starting with an assembly and the kindergarten/primary costume parade. That should last about an hour. The rest of the morning should be fairly normal (as normal as things can be on a cold and rainy Halloween) and then, in the afternoon, it's class parties for grades 1-5 and a dance for grades 6-8. Thank goodness it's Friday!

My Greek Goddess costume is good to go (albeit with a man's toga instead of the small pieces of cloth that pass for a woman's costume). I'll do my gold make-up when I get to school.

Enjoy the day, everyone!

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 31, 2014

Have fun! My students will hate me today. No festivities in my (high school) classroom!

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 31, 2014

I am so thankful we don't do costumes at my school. I couldn't even imagine!! But we will still have a fun day wearing black & orange, playing Halloween themed math games and having a party this afternoon.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2014

We don't celebrate Halloween at this school (private christian school), but we do have a fall festival. I told the kids they could bring in snacks and craft activities. We'll fit them in between lessons.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 31, 2014

I kind of wish we did a big celebration at Halloween, but nope... high school. LOL.

We are having our faculty annual "gross but edible" luncheon today. That will be fun!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2014

I've seen almost all of the staff this morning and only one is not in costume. It's going to be a hectic day, but, hopefully, a fun one!

The biggest trick for me will be staying away from the treats!

Need to amend my first comment--all staff are now in costume!

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 31, 2014

We're having a fall festival too. Hayrides around campus and an assembly.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 31, 2014

Here are some of our staff creations:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 31, 2014

We've banned costumes and parties throughout the school. I frank(enstein)ly am ok with this.

11. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Oct 31, 2014

I am torn.

My old school had an entire Halloween parade, Halloween activities...it was the entire day. While that was tiring, it was also really fun, and all the kids were being watched by every parent, so it wasn't like I had to keep tabs on everyone (this was a totally gated, secure, & somewhat secluded private school).

My current school doesn't do anything for Halloween, although we let the kids bring in one item from their costume to share at a designated time if they would like. While I feel like this is kind of boring, it's also nice knowing that the whole day isn't void of teaching.

12. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2014

Bandnerd,

That lunch is disturbing!!! I have an over-active imagination and would never be able to eat any of it...I am such a weenie with stuff like that!

Our school (I'm at the junior high today) is having a costume contest at lunch. I am quasi-in costume as a French stereotype (all black and a beret) for my French class. I am going to attempt staying "in character" and speaking only French for the full 100 minutes. I am hoping the novelty will help keep my squirrely, costumed 8th graders' attention! Then again, it could completely backfire...We'll find out in due time!

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 31, 2014

My younger two kids schools sent out email/phone messages last night reminding parents of no costumes, though the middle kid is having a bit of a party today. He brought in a couple of my pipe cleaner spiders with the hopes that one of the teachers will have the supplies to make them (they only require black pipe cleaners, googley eyes and glue) during the party. The oldest is in high school, so no costumes there either.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 31, 2014

This would have been the best day to be a teacher at my old school -

NO SCHOOL TODAY!! Fall Break!

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2014

It's lunch time. Time to change into my "alternate" costume. For the afternoon, I'll be a "soccer mom" in my jeans and a sweatshirt from my daughter's college :p.

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2014

No Snuggie??? :p :haha:

17. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 31, 2014

At my school, for the first time ever we have a haunted house. It was the leadership students' ideas, one teacher took charge and they all set it up. Each one had one teacher in charge to help out with their station in the house.
    Everyone was encouraged to dress up, even offered a reward, but sadly not a lot of kids did :(
    Our theme is scary, so I dressed up as a zombie, I've been scaring most of the kids. I bought a black wig that goes down to my ankles, it's messy and very creepy. I got a huge wound on my face and plenty of blood :) Otherwise I'm white / black / green. A lot of kids asked m to put blood on them.
    I have to find a way to post pictures

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 31, 2014

First off, I'm so incredibly thankful that Halloween lands on a Friday!

Secondly, our kids have to bring their costumes in their backpacks so they can change during lunch. After lunch, we have a school-wide Halloween Parade.

The Halloween Parade has been a tradition at this school since I was a student here in the '80s. Glad it has been kept alive for all these years.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 31, 2014

Today's the 1st Halloween since 1999 that I haven't had to see school kids in costumes.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 31, 2014

We had a good day. None of the kids dressed up but a few teachers did. I'm glad it's Friday though. Unfortunately, no kids ever come trick or treating at my house so I never get to see the cute costumes!

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2014

:spitwater: That certainly would have completed the look!