Hair color-Salon or Drug Store?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Weazy, Jul 15, 2008.

1. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 16, 2008

I've done both. For the last couple of years I've been having it done at the Salon. It's my "me" time. I only go every 3 mos. or so. I push it much farther then I should.

2. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2008

I have been dying my hair since I was 18. (just didnt like my hair color) Now I have to because of the gray. WHen I started back to college at the tender young age of 32, I hated that all the other girls at school were 18 and young and no gray so I started covering the gray up more often. I have had both salon and home and to me there is really no difference except price. Although the other day I bought a Loreal creme color that dried my hair out completely. I had to go to Sally's and get some conditioner. I normally use Clariol Nice N Easy. I wll go back to that next time I need a cover up.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 16, 2008

I never colored my hair until it started getting thin. My black, straight hair made it more noticeable that I was losing hair. I had my stylist lighten my color and add highlights. I didn't want to turn my hair orange, which is the color you'll often get trying to lighten black hair.

I gave up coloring two years ago when I started buying my hair. Wow . . . the GRAY I've got. Egads!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2008

I do my own color- Rachael Ray had a segment last week about whether to save or splurge on hair treatments- they did salon versus home treatements on twins and the audience picked who they thought was the salon- in many cases it was difficult to tell the difference or the difference was so slight that spending $$$ didn't make a lot of sense to me. I spend about $10 more or less every 5 weeks or so on hair color- It would cost MUCH more in a salon. I've been coloring for years- my hiar is soft, in great condition and no one would guess I do my own.

5. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 16, 2008

I have a stylist friend that does my hair for a great deal. If I didn't have her, I would just keep it natural. I went to her school once and got a great deal on a cut and color! So you could maybe check out your local beauty college? They often have salon hours where students do hair at reduced rate.

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 16, 2008

Rats! I believed it when the seasoned veteran teachers at my school told me that. Guess I can't believe everything I hear, huh? Sorry and thanks for clearing things up.

Just the word LICE makes my head itch. Ugh.

7. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

I always get my done at the salon. I feel like it is better for my hair. The dyes at the store can dry out your hair really bad and make it really brittle. It took an entire year for my hair to recover. Now this doesn't happen to everyone. For some people store bought dye works just fine for them and their hair stays healthy. So it really depends on how your hair takes it.

8. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 16, 2008

I've been going gray since I was 16, so I've done both. I will say that the salon job lasts longer. For me it's Feria (Havana Brown :lol:) when I start to sparkle in the lights.

9. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 16, 2008

I started coloring my hair when I was 14 - My older step-sister is a beautician so it started out as me being her test subject. I think that for the difference in price, using a home coloring kit is the better option (but I'm cheap, so if it saves money, I'm happy).
    Actually, the reason I posted was to let any of you who color hair know that if your hair tends to get brittle and dry after coloring, one of the best brands of shampoos and conditioners I have found is TreSemme (if you get the kind that has the gelatin in it, you will probably notice a big change the first time you use it, but all of them are good). The best part (again, I'm cheap) is that it is much more cost-effective than most other hair products.:2up:

10. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 16, 2008

:lol:As soon as I read it, I started scratching! Oh, the power of suggestion!

11. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 16, 2008

Well, I did it! I bought LOreal's two step box, with all-over color and a highlight after that. The highlight step really made a diff over the all-over color. It looks more natural.

I bought "medium golden blonde" on the suggestion to choose a shade lighter than my hair. Guess what? It's reddish brown now and NO ONE even noticed. I tell ya! People BELIEVE I have red hair. When they describe me, they say red hair. Now that I colored it, they don't even notice. It's the pink/pale skin, I guess.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with it.

12. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

And that's all that matters! :)

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 17, 2008

The L'Oreal two step box is my favorite! But I live in mortal fear of them discontinuing my color! LOL!

14. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 17, 2008

:rofl: Me too!

btw, my favorite post-color product is Dove for color treated hair. It leaves my hair so soft. I'm cheap too. :lol:

15. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 20, 2008

Walgreens has a coupon today (in the paper) for $2 off one package or $5 off of two for the L'Oreal two box product.