Hair color-Salon or Drug Store?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Weazy, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2008

I have med blonde hair.
    In the summer it turns WHITE.
    When my roots come in, it looks like I dyed when i did not.
    So every fall I have to go to a salon to get it colored my natural.
    She gets quite close so I only do it once a year.

Is it true that dyed hair do not get lice?
    They should advertise that! :lol:

2. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

Always go with a shade lighter or two lighter than what you really want ( I accidentally did too dark and looked like Elvis last summer :blush:) and pick up developer, gloves, and a bottle to apply it with. Once you have the basic supplies, you spend $6 to dye it and there's a whole range of colors and you can even do highlights if you feel crazy:)

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

Thanks, I'll take your advice. Elvis. Heh!

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

TeacherShelly, try L'Oreal Couleur Experte Express 6.4. It makes your color brown a lovely, "natural" shade of red.

5. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

I finished my hair two hours ago and it turned out great! The first thing my husband said when he saw it was, " I like the color." I didn't change the color, but I did all of my hair, not just the roots and it livens the color back up. Tomorrow I will get it trimmed. I want a "new do" but not sure what. I'm thinking of letting it grow-out a little. I hope my hiar stylist can help me out! :unsure:

6. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 15, 2008

I color my hair at home. Have had the carrot tops too! I really like the nice and easy light auburn color. It is pretty red but once I go out in the sun it fades to blonder. My friend who cuts my hair said when you are coloring red, buy two boxes of color. Just brush on the liquid color ( not the bottle you add the color to) and leave on for 20 minutes, bloat off the excess and then color as usual. It helps the color stay in.

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

That sounds good, too. When I was a redhead, no one realized I am really not. I have that Irish skin (very pink and pale) which just goes with red hair. It has to be blue-based red, though, not orange-based, or I look like Bozo.

I should call my hair maven and ask but I'm embarrassed.

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

That's so great when your hubby says things like that! :) I'll bet you look great.

Good luck on the style issue. I used to bring in pix of hair styles I wanted only to have "maven" roll her eyes and then give me a great hair cut that worked with MY hair. Remember when Felicity (Kerri Russell) chopped her locks? Well, my hair is JUST like hers and when I showed Maven, she said, "THAT is a picture of Kerri Russell growing her hair back. You are NOT getting that cut." Gawd, I miss Maven!!

9. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

I love short hair, but my husband and my boys don't. My hair is sooo straight and I can't do much with it. I don't want a perm because it grows too fast. My face is currently a little too plump, and I guess round...I'm not sure what category my face shape falls under. I will probably go back to my short bob until I find something else. My hair was so short, it will be awhile until it gows back to a bob--even though it grows fast. I wish I had a little natural body in my hair!

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 15, 2008

This is soooooooooooooooooo not true. I've been dying my hair ever since my youngest was born because it went totally white when I was pregnant with my middle child. I have gotten lice every single freaking time my kids have brought them home from school.

I do mine at home...I can't afford a salon.

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

Bummer. I hoped that it was true I couldn't get lice because of dyed hair. Now, I'll go back to being paranoid every time someone gets lice.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 15, 2008

Oh, one thing for those of you who are considering reds...be very careful what shade you pick. Natural redheads have a certain skin tone to go along with that red hair. If you're going for "redish" you can pull it off, but of you're going for really red, while it may look good, it won't fool hairdressers or redheads. Unfortunately, true red you can't get out of a bottle (and how that hurts, since I described my pre-child hair color as "orange").

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 15, 2008

Sorry :(

14. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jul 15, 2008

Lice like clean hair because it's easy to navigate through, according to my stylist friend.

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 15, 2008

Actually, one of the best deterrents to lice is a zinc based dandruff shampoo. While it doesn't kill them, it makes the scalp a less than hospitable environment and they tend to go find someplace else to live. Of course, dandruff shampoo will strip your hair of dye, so you must decide if its worth it.