Hair color-Salon or Drug Store?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Weazy, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

I'm "processing" right now--I mean my hair is processing. My roots were taking over and my gray and silver was glistening in the sun, so it was time to color. I was just wondering how many of you color your own or have it done in a salon. I do my own because I can't part with the money that it takes to have it done in a salon. I don't do anything fancy (highlights, etc.) because my hair has a lot of natural variety. I do have my eyebrows waxed, though. :lol:

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

Ha! I was JUST wondering this same thing. Thanks for starting this thread.

I quit coloring my hair when I was pregnant. I used to have such fun - I was a red-head in the end. It looked awesome. Now, plain mousy light brown with an 'interesting' gray streak forming at my right temple.

Now that I've been off work for four years and student loans on top of that, there's no $$$ for fancy hair anymore. I'm thinking of getting a box from the drug store. Recommendations???

4. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jul 15, 2008

I've never colored my hair before. I don't plan on doing it until I have to...grays and such. Trying to keep it as healthy as possible, but I've never been into dying it anyway...guess it's a good thing as it does save money!

I would probably go to a salon if I did though, I wouldn't trust myself to do a good enough job! hehe

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

I love the way my hair looks with professional highlights or even all-over, but done professionally so it looks like I was born that way. Oh, the compliments... but that was THEN!

I heard that dyed hair never gets lice. Bonus!!

6. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

Funny--I didn't have to start coloring until AFTER I had my first baby! :confused: Shortly after giving birth I noticed dark roots and gray hairs; I've been coloring ever since. I use Preference by Loreal (because I'm worth it..:lol:) and have been very fortunate. My hair has never dried out and has stayed healthy. I get it cut regularly.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 15, 2008

Not only is my hair down to my butt, but I have & want to keep my highlights, so I couldn't begin to attempt to do it myself. I go to the salon, but only every few mos or so.

The thing I hate is when stylists see my hair, they have a good excuse to state a high price. But, I guess that's how it goes!

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

My hair didn't need coloring, I just tried it and loved it so much I kept doing it. Being pregnant made me nervous about the chemicals... maybe over-reacting but I'm a worrier I guess. I have super strong and healthy hair which can take ANYTHING and bounce right back. Even my ceramic straightener can't damage it :)

9. cosmoteach

cosmoteach Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

I go to my salon for highlights...last year, I tried to save money and used a store bought kit. I ended up with bright orange hair- my students could not stop laughing at it! My hairdresser was angry with me and still reminds me of it.

10. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 15, 2008

Color at home because it is cheaper, but have had some hair disasters, such as coloring my hair at midnight, having my hair turn Bozo the Clown red and not being able to reach the Clairol professionals until the next morning at 9:00! But still continue to color at home.

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

I hit the salon every six weeks. I was born without the hairstyling gene! ;)

12. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

I started getting grays when I was 19! By mid 20's it was enough that I needed to start coloring. I do my own coloring. My hair grows so quickly that my roots have to be colored every 4 weeks. I can't imagine paying salon prices for that!! :)

13. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

I once colored my light brown hair DARK brown, using THREE boxes of color because it was so long, thick and curly. My hair maven flipped out. She gave me the longest, I TOLD YOU SO look before spending five HOURS and hundreds of dollars to strip it out and fix it. Ugh.

I'm thinking of getting a box of something that is very close to my natural hair color and won't have a line of demarcation. I'm not gray (except for that interesting streak on my right temple) so this might work... I just want to look less mousy...

14. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jul 15, 2008

I have the best solution! Befriend a stylist! :) My good friend from HS has been doing my hair for a discounted rate since she was in beauty school in HS. I get a full foil set of highlights and a haircut for $40. Granted I tip her $10 too. But you can't beat that!

15. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

I hit the middle and visit Sally Beauty Supply for my hair dye. Since I can't afford to go to the salon right now, I get a fairly decent color from that. It's professional quality, just isn't done by a professional. I've used the store variety for years, but didn't like the brassiness it gave me. I am not willing to go gray.

16. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

Hmm.. beauty supply hair color. I'll check it out!

My hair maven (that's my nickname for her) always says she'll make it work with me, but she is flippin' waaaaay expensive and her "make it work" rate is still out of my comfort level given I don't work in the public eye anymore.

I think I'll go to the beauty supply and check things out. I hate brassy.

17. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2008

I have med blonde hair.
    In the summer it turns WHITE.
    When my roots come in, it looks like I dyed when i did not.
    So every fall I have to go to a salon to get it colored my natural.
    She gets quite close so I only do it once a year.

Is it true that dyed hair do not get lice?
    They should advertise that! :lol:

18. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

Always go with a shade lighter or two lighter than what you really want ( I accidentally did too dark and looked like Elvis last summer :blush:) and pick up developer, gloves, and a bottle to apply it with. Once you have the basic supplies, you spend $6 to dye it and there's a whole range of colors and you can even do highlights if you feel crazy:)

19. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

Thanks, I'll take your advice. Elvis. Heh!

20. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

TeacherShelly, try L'Oreal Couleur Experte Express 6.4. It makes your color brown a lovely, "natural" shade of red.

21. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

I finished my hair two hours ago and it turned out great! The first thing my husband said when he saw it was, " I like the color." I didn't change the color, but I did all of my hair, not just the roots and it livens the color back up. Tomorrow I will get it trimmed. I want a "new do" but not sure what. I'm thinking of letting it grow-out a little. I hope my hiar stylist can help me out! :unsure: