Guided Reading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by njteach41, Jul 28, 2010.

1. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Jul 28, 2010

What are your methods or procedures for tracking and documenting during guided reading? What type of format do you use? Also, what are your thoughts on guided reading, and do you have any tips or suggestions that you find work well for you and your students?

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2010

I have guided reading planning sheets. This is where I have an introduction that sets the reader up for success. I also have a place where I can prepare for possible word work lessons.

I have an assessment binder. It is HUGE.It is divided by students. Each student has a section with a different sheet for each subject. During a guided reading lesson i have a sticky note for each person on the table. I will write notes on those sticky notes. After the lesson I place the sticky notes on each child's guided reading page. All of that child's guided reading notes will be on 1 page (I will add more pages if I run out of room).
    After each guided reading lesson I keep one kid at my table for running records.

4. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 28, 2010

I have a guided reading template as well. This is used for overall plans for the week. I keep a composition book at my table which has tabs by student. I allocate about 6-10 pages per student. While they are reading I make not of the reading strategies that they are using and the words they may struggle with. I review these each week and then use it to plan a word lesson or mini lesson on reading comprehension.

5. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jul 28, 2010

I have a guided reading template that I have made. I took ideas from others and formed it to fit the needs of my class. I have a Small Group Notebook. The idea is from Debbie Diller's book Making the Most of Small Groups. It kept me sooooo much more organized than in the past years. I do running records with one student per group daily. I take this information and use it to help plan my next days lesson for that group. I also have a place on my template for observations. I choose at least 2 students per group to make observations on daily as well. These observation also may help me guide my lessons for the next day.

6. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2010

Check out Debbie Diller's Making the Most of Small Groups
    and
    Jan Richardson's Guided Reading

both have fantastic forms to copy and use for this.