Guided Reading Advice (semi-long)

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by storyh, Sep 14, 2008.

1. storyh

storyh Companion

Sep 14, 2008

I am sure there are probably some related threads on here about this, but I didn't really find what I was looking for, so I decided to post new. Anyway, I am teaching second grade this year, and at least 1/2 of my class cannot read on grade level. I am wanting to do guided reading groups, but as of right now as a grade level we have decided to do traditional whole group reading from the basal. I just feel like I am doing my kids a dis-service by making them read on a second grade level if they don't have the foundation to be sucessful. I have pretty much decided that I am going to squeeze in reading groups as well as continuing with the other. I need tips and advice on how to make it work. Thanks!

3. tchnzfun

tchnzfun Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

This is my first year teaching second grade, as well, so I can't promise to give you the greatest advice, but I'll try my best. I am doing guided reading groups for one hour every day. I plan to meet with my high group one time per week, with my average students in two different group three times per week, and with my two low groups four times per week. The students are working in literacy stations when they don't meet with me. These groups are independent of the reading groups. Literacy stations have 3-4 students in them and at any given time may have only two students in, if I am working with the others.

With all of my groups I am using leveled readers. With my high group we may move into some chapter books in the next month. With my three lowest groups, we will be doing six minute solutions 1-2 times per week to work on reading fluency. This is a great program to look into if you are interested. Students can monitor individual progress and really see their reading improve.

That's all I have right now, we are still working on setting up stations. I know that some teachers have students to independent seatwork instead of literacy stations.

4. storyh

storyh Companion

Sep 15, 2008

Thanks! That will help! I would like more info on six-minute solutions.

5. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Sep 15, 2008

I also use a basal for whole group reading and do a selection test on the story each week. I do reading groups too though. I'm trying to work out a plan now, b/c I'm not sure if I will have another teacher to help or not. I think reading groups are extremely important so that all students can read at their level. I also send books home on the students' level. As the other poster said, I also do workstations when my students aren't in groups. They usually behave well and have fun applying skills rather than doing worksheets. I do reading, writing, word work and computers.

6. tchnzfun

tchnzfun Rookie

Sep 15, 2008

Six minute solutions

I am (again) no expert on it, in fact, I teach in Spanish and it is an English program, so I have adapted it in my own way. The basic idea is that this intervention should only take six minutes with 5-6 kids. All students are given an at-level passage with 130 words. They are then given one minute to read the passage individually to the teacher. While the student reads, the teacher marks incorrect words with a slash through the word. At one minute, the teacher marks where the students stopped. The student then counts how many words he/she read correctly and graphs this information. The student should read the same passage about five different times on different days and be able to see an increase in fluency each time. Our goal right now at the beginning of the year is 44 words per minute, some of my students are higher, and some are not quite there. This does not focus on comprehension, solely on fluency, so I don't think it would be appropriate to only use six minute solutions. I have also seen teachers let the students practice in partners with one being a teacher and the other being the student.

In regard to the other students- I used to do this last year with kindergarten during independent "study" time. The kids had syllables and sentences they were practicing reading. I would have one student "on deck" studying the passage for one minute and one student taking the test. The "on deck" helped them to prepare themselves and practice.

Even at K, it was great fun and motivational. They loved to look at their improvements, and I always made a HUGE deal about it.

I am looking forward to doing this with second graders this year.