Guess Who's on the Good Housekeeping cover (Nov)????

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherSandra, Oct 6, 2008.

1. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Oct 10, 2008

Can you imagine how much money it would cost to put 8 children in daycare? The cost would surpass any income she could possibly make honestly. I think they found the best solution for them right now. Hopefully, they are making enough to put away for their education too. I'm sure they've already thought of that though. I mean 8 children? wow.

2. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Oct 10, 2008

I also watch and like the show. Kate can be a pain in the rear at times, but she does seem like a more 'real' mother than most you see on TV. As for having those 6 cuties in my class, that would be fine, but can you imagine Kate as one of your parents? She would keel over dead when we did painted footprint ghosts or mixed that Gingerbread dough with our hands!!

3. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 10, 2008

I do not think she has a problem with the project; just the mess. If you put on a play/paint shirt on them or smock they would not get their clothes dirty. With 8 kids could you imagaine if you had 8 kids and you had to go home daily and get stains out of out outfits?!?

4. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 10, 2008

AMEN!!!! You hit the nail on the head! I think some people may just want to see a fake family like robots. This family is not fake. They are a real family that hurts,crys,laughs and fights.

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2008

well; Kate & Jon are renewing their vows!!!
    Kate appeared on TLCs show, Say Yes to the Dress, tonight (10/10/08); there is a repeat tonight!!!

TLC station; SHOW: Say Yes to the Dress
    CENTRAL TIME: 11 pm
    Date: Friday, 10/10/08

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2008

For those who just don't like Kate...change the channel! ok; so, she's a little over-the-top for some; but that's ok; she loves those kids to pieces!! And she loves Jon.
    So, change the channel and enjoy something you like. :love:

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 11, 2008

I do change the channel. I don't watch the show anymore but do have an opinion on the show. Are only pro-Gosslin people allowed to respond to this post?

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2008

I would think not - tho some people have taken really unkindly to the Gosselin parents and say really "ugly" things.
    We all have opinions, so post them.
    I responded to someone who had backlashed the Gosselins over and over again. That person knew so much about their weekly shows and hated the family, so I suggested that they watch another show. :D

9. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 11, 2008

I agree as long as you do not say negitive or mean things about them. I mean every parent(I am not one but everyone who is) has a different style of parenting. You also have to be understanding of the fact that they have 8 kids and how hard that must be.

10. Live4Learning

Live4Learning Rookie

Oct 11, 2008

I came across a blog on blogspot.com that is written by Jodi's (Kate's sister-in-law) sister. It gives a lot of insight into what she claims is the real world of Jon and Kate. I, for one, believe that everyone has a right to live their life in the way that they chose as long as it's not hurting anyone or breaking any law, but I am concerned about the rights of the 8 Gosselin children. Can you imagine actually having camera crews in your house all the time! How is that normal for a child?! From what I gathered from Jodi's sister, remember Jodi used to watch all 8 of the children when needed. She was the notorious aunt that Kate belittled for giving the little ones gum in one episode. From what I understand Jodi received a lot of positive emails telling her how not to worry, Kate was overreacting, and when Kate caught wind of the attention Jodi was getting because of the show, she became furious and had the network pretty much blacklist Jodi. If you haven't noticed Kate had to "hire" someone (with the networks money) to help out with the children because she cut ties with Jodi and Kevin (her brother). It also said on the blog that Kate had a total hissy fit when the network mentioned paying Jodi and Kevin for being on the show. She yelled that "NO ONE, is going to make money off of my family!" Except her and Jon that is. It also states that the dirt poor portion of their lives, after the little ones were born, was a total lie. It said that Jon and Kate were being backed financially by a relative and were sitting on a pretty big savings while sending out emails and "please we need money" letters to everyone in their community. It even stated that Kate said she was not going to use their money because it was the government's responsibility to pay for their children because in her words, "We have EIGHT kids!"

As for paying for things it says that everything is provided to them by the network...vacations, clothing, food, services...

Kate is suppose to have a personal chef that provides them with only organic meals. She has someone come in do laundry and she does have someone clean the house. I could handle having 8 children if I had that help!

I used to love watching the show and was a fan of Kate's because I thought it was great that she was so honest and unappologetic about how she felt, but throughout the progression of the seasons I've really started to dislike how she treats people, her children included. Does anyone else not think that it's strange that none of their extended family has anything to do with them? I know it was "sort of" explained in one show why the grandparents were not around, but other than that there is no talk of Aunt this or Uncle that or grandma this or grandpa that...

The blog stated that Kate sees people as objects, useful when she needs them and disposable when she's done with them...even family. I guess that would make sense seeing as that they have no family rallying around them...hmmm...just my thoughts

11. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2008

AMEN!

12. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2008

Instead of pro- Jon & Kate people telling non- Jon & Kate people to take a hike, why can't we all just agree that you either really like them or really dislike them? No one who dislikes them has, so far, gotten in the face of anyone who likes them. Looks like Kate's rubbing off on her fans...

Personally, I've wondered how far this show will go. What all will we be treated to as the older girls approach puberty???

13. Live4Learning

Live4Learning Rookie

Oct 11, 2008

I totally agree Becky! Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. That being said, there is no reason to get hostile over something so trivial as a discussion about a reality tv show. What is the saying "opinions are like a**holes, everyone's got one"?

We should not lose sight of the fact that there are 8 small children ultimately being exploited on some level. I honestly think that as long as the money's rolling in Jon and Kate will continue to showcase their family in our living rooms, so I'm pretty sure viewers will be seeing the older girls hitting puberty and beyond.:2cents:

14. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 11, 2008

WOW! Thats a lot to think about...I do want to add just one thing if I may. The organic food that is provided and cooked for them was said on a show by kate herself. She said that they provide it for the production crew and her family only on days of fiming the show not everyday.

15. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 11, 2008

It was Jodi's sisters blog that soured me on Jon and Kate. I used to watch every episode even if I had already seen it. It seems to me that growing up without any family members in my life would end up being a sad existance. I am an only child and was always afraid growing up that if I did not get married and have my own children that one day I may not have any true family members in my life. Kate seems to be taking the extended family members out of her children's life as soon as they are no longer useful. This is just my opinion but it really makes me feel sad for these children.

16. rs0316

rs0316 Rookie

Oct 11, 2008

I also read the blog that had to do with Jodi....I wonder how much of it is true though. I still dont get why would you take your kids to the Crayola Factory and not let them play with washable markers?? I get the whole clothing issue and stains, but thats why they're washable. They have plenty of money for clothing and they get clothing for free...oh well...I just feel for the kids.

17. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 11, 2008

First let me say I am not like Kate is at all about messes.
    I work with 3yr olds on sunday mornings at my church and I do not like for them to have markers. I also when subbing tell my K or 1st grades classes not to use markers. They make a HUGE and I mean HUGE mess with it. Croyla makes crayons! Why not just let them use crayons the only difference is the mess and if they press to hard with markers they can rip through a coloring page or piece of regular paper. Oh, and did anyone see the beach eposode of J and K? Kate let them make a mess with pudding paint and regular paint. Also, did you see the daughters day out show? It was a show where Kate took all her girls out with mommy for girls day out. she took them to make Podory.(Sp?) The painted it too. One more note, on J and K's TLC website it said unless it is on www.sixgosselins.com it is not true about there family. Sorry these were all random and not about the same situation. I was responding to different posts I read all along through that I felt like responding too.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2008

Other people's kids are one thing; your own are a different matter.

Of course you don't want the kids in your Church class to use markers. I'm guessing that they're not in their worst clothes at church (well, I'm hoping anyway.)

But your own kids... well, they have to learn to use markers at some point in their lives. Yes, they're going to get some on their clothes and some on their faces, hands, and other assorted body parts. And that's OK. They'll survive far worse than a couple of days with some marker on them.

Chocolate pudding does come out of hair, and carpet too-- ask the parent of any toddler. (Well, apparently almost any toddler.)

19. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 11, 2008

Good points! I understand and also want to add I do not have kids of my own. I do agree that one day of markers is not going to hurt them at all as long as they are having fun. I just don't want mad mommy's or daddy's when kids have(nice or not nice clothes ..we see both) messed up clothes. Some mom's get a Kate Gosslin type reaction to messes. Not many thank goodness. And some just dress there kids too nice to actually be a kid.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2008

You're absolutely right!

When my kids were in Preschool, I would wonder at what some of the parents were thinking when they sent their kids to school. Cutesy little expensive dresses with delicate tights and pretty shoes. For what? Circle time on the floor? The art room? The gym???

I can see dressing a child nicely for church, and you as teacher not wanting them to get messy.That's OK, because hopefully their moms occasionally let them play with markers and pudding and even.. gasp.. mud at home.