GRRRRR.... Parent conferences this evening

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MelissainGA, Oct 28, 2010.

1. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Oct 28, 2010

I need to talk to my A to Z friends after the evening I had.

I know you can sympathize. We had conferences tonight. The board had left conferences off the schedule but the new superintendent decided each school had to have conferences.

Ok I had 12 scheduled for tonight. Two of those ended up turning into TCP meetings for before tonight happened (so ended up having 7 out of my 19 before we got to tonight). Had the remaining 12 scheduled for tonight between 3:30 to 7:00 in 15 minute increments.

Now to my vent: All 12 originally confirmed their times assigned were fine.

I then get a message from one that she can't make it. (fine I will do a phone conference, read with her a little more and she will be fine)
    I have another one want a time much earlier than she first said was fine. Sorry can't do that since all my slots are taken. I will conduct a phone conference later with her.

Fast forward to tonight and confernces:
    Parent # 1 doesn't show up (even though confirmed that she will be here)
    Parent #2 doesn't show up - ditto above comment
    Parent #3 doesn't show up - ditto above comment
    Parent #4 (and grandmama) show up for this one
    Parent # 5 shows up
    Parent #6 shows up
    Parent # 7 doesn't show up - even though confirmed
    Parent # 8 doesn't show up - confirmed time was ok
    Parent # 9 showed up and stayed 45 minutes (her child is a true piece of work- NEVER closes his mouth and then goes home and tells Mom I don't like him but fails to mention he talks from the time he hits the door until the time he leaves and I require silence on occasion in my classroom during tests)
    Parent # 10 doesn't show - confirmed
    Parent # 11 doesn't show - confirmed
    I told parent # 12 unless they wanted to meet I really had nothing to tell them that they didno know already the child is wonderful and I have recommended her for quest (gifted)
    Oh yeah here's the icing on the cake - child # 9 is out of zone and shouldn't even be in my class. Even better Mom pretty much told me that I would sign him up for quest. I told her that no I would not because even though her son is intelligent his behavior would not be taken by the quest teacher just as it isn't by me in my classroom. :banghead:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2010

Wow! Sorry for your night. Hopefully you got some good work done when the parents didn't show up.

4. NewNCTeach

NewNCTeach Rookie

Oct 29, 2010

Wow, sounds like my day of conferences. Had 7 scheduled for today, only 3 showed up. Had 8 the previous week, glad to at least have them done. Six didn't show up and 6 never confirmed anything after I sent three notices home for scheduling. Well, at least we tried. With that being said, I'll be spending the first week of the second quarter STILL having first quarter conferences.

5. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Oct 29, 2010

I am feeling pretty lucky this year. All 25 of my students' parents showed up. This is the first time in my 13 years this has ever happened.

6. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Oct 29, 2010

We adopted a system about ten years ago in which parents receive their child's report card at the time they arrive for the conference. It is not 100% effective,but it has increased the number of parents who show up.
    Sorry you had such a poor experience. Unfortunately in many cases we understand why the child has so many problems after we meet the parents.Thank heaven for students like #12,It makes our effort seem worthwhile.
    In NY they are fighting over publishing teacher evaluations based solely on test scores. I wish we could publish parent evaluations based on the behavior and effort of their children in school..

7. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Oct 30, 2010

I have one parent who is driving me nuts. She sent me an email saying she'd like a conference to discuss her child's progress; this was before our conference times even started. I told her sure I would be happy to meet with her. Conference is scheduled and I spend the time preparing everything. I'm super nervous since that would have been my first conference ever as a teacher. The day of the conference comes, and I wait. More waiting, more waiting.
    When I check my emails later that day the parent sent one saying sorry she couldn't make it today and asked about a phone conference. I'm a little irritated but tell her a phone conference will be fine. Phone conference goes ok. The parent still wants to meet face to face, so we discuss another time for her to come in. Surprise surprise 10 minutes before the conference is supposed to take place I have another message saying she can't make it and needs to reschedule. I respond with my available times to meet with her. Parent response is thank you for the times I will reschedule but never says when.

8. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Oct 30, 2010

Welcome To Teaching

There are many times after meeting and dealing with parents I feel sorry for a child in my class. Sometimes I think parenting classes should be necessary for all perspective parents:dizzy:

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2010

Yikes! I am sorry your conferences didn't go very well.

10. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 30, 2010

Yea, I always assume about half of my parents won't attend. I didn't even schedule some of my parents this year... if I have already talked to them, I told them that they don't need to come in. I feel like every year that I wind up scheduling a parent before and after the scheduled conference times.... and this year is no different. Apparently it is impossible for some parents to find a time 12-7pm. Then, the last conference ALWAYS winds up being the parent that wants to talk forever!

11. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 30, 2010

Yea, we tried have "organized" sceduled appointments several years ago.:dizzy: I got tons of work done in my room, since only one or two showed up -- 10:00 - 7:00. :rofl: Now - I schedule the appointment; pray they come; am not surprised they don't. :D