Growth Mindset versus Fixed Mindset Classrooms

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Obadiah, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

May 10, 2016

That's been going through my mind, too, and I totally agree. In any research, the terminology can be misleading, and I too am wondering if the term "struggle" is an accurate term to define all learning. In such cases as mentioned by a2z, I'm wondering if it's more similar to a correction rather than a struggle. Perhaps even more definitively, could all learning be defined as a paradigm shift. Perhaps a paradigm shifts in one of four ways: changing what the student thought s/he knew, confirming what the student already knew, adding to what the student already knew, or providing the student with totally new information. In all three cases, though, the new information is connected with previously learned knowledge. I am still seeing a strong benefit in challenging all students in the classroom.

2. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

May 10, 2016

So in terms of the "struggle" conversation, I'd add this: new information (which is, to be sure, "learning") can definitely occur without struggle. However, I'd suggest that "struggle" - as in the child experiences the physical & psychological affects of challenging materials - does suggest a greater intensity of learning. Simply put, "struggle" is just the experience effect of a learning objective being at a greater level of challenge for the individual.

In a2z's description, I'd suggest that everyone - from the "smartest" to the "least smart" can experience "struggle" if the material is of a certain level of difficulty compared with that individual's current skill level.

If you think about it, this is sort of how we have operationalized "instructional level" for a while now - that a student's performance drops below mastery level, but not so far as to be at "frustrational level" - in short, we've quantified "struggle" by suggesting that the student doesn't perform as well at the task, thereby needing instruction.

Obadiah and Pashtun like this.