Growing a bean in a bag?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by cml88, May 7, 2012.

1. cml88

cml88 Companion

May 7, 2012

Has anyone ever done the growing a bean in a bag thing with their kids (the one w/ the wet paper towel that you hang on a window)? I have not and I'm interested in trying it. I've seen it done in other classrooms but I don't really know how it works. What are the least expensive kinds of seeds I can use that will work? And how does it work?

3. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 7, 2012

I dunno, but tell them that the ancient followers of Pythagoras would not eat beans because of the little people in them (metempsychosis concerns). Then break a bean (or other dicotyledonous seed: peanuts are easiest) in half and show them the little person up in one end. All true, though odd.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 7, 2012

Here's what I did, and they all sprouted :)

I soaked plain lima beans from the market in water overnight. We then lightly taped 2-3 beans to a damp paper towel inside a quart sized ziplock bag and taped them to a very sunny window. That's it!! They all germinated in 2 days or so.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 7, 2012

Lima beans is what my teacher used in elementary. :)

6. cml88

cml88 Companion

May 7, 2012

This may sound pretty stupid...but are these dry lima beans or frozen? Sorry...Just not very familiar with lima beans

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 7, 2012

No problem. :)

There were dry...the kind in a clear plastic bag at the grocery.

8. biologyland

biologyland Rookie

May 7, 2012

i did this with my (high school!) kids last month. they had no idea that beans could grow bean plants (actually, they were skeptical that ANY seed would grow a plant...), so I decided to toss in that activity for them.

I did the same things that pisces did...grab a bag of dry beans from the grocery store (I used white northern this past time because they were on sale, and they sprouted just fine) and soak them over night. Get paper towels DAMP (not soaking wet, or you'll just grow the funkiest molds I've ever seen...) and loosely fold the beans inside. Stick it all in a bad (make sure there's still air in the bag!) and hang it on the window. You'll need to check every other day or so to see if the paper towels are still damp, and spray them with a water bottle if you need to.

We let ours grow in the bag for a few weeks to show how not all plants need soil to sprout and grow before we transplanted them into little cups. :)

9. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

May 7, 2012

I do this in my K class and I just get bean seeds from WalMart or some place that sells seeds. We really discussed hypothesis and we predicted if the seed would grow or not grow in dirt. I made a chart.

Then we just put them in a damp paper towel and put it in a ziplock bag which we closed the bag and put it by the window. Most students grew... some got moldy so we tried them again. We check it once a week. THEY LOVED IT!

They ask me everyday if we can check it.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 7, 2012

Get dry beans...frozen won't sprout...
    You can buy a bag of dried Lima beans in the soup aisle at the grocery. Just make sure they aren't irradiated.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 7, 2012

I think I'm going to try this next week!

12. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

May 8, 2012

Here is a link to a site with detailed directions for you: http://prekplanet.com/gardening.html
    Look under the science tab. The site is new and still partially under construction, but it has some good stuff on it.