Group of boys who can't turn off the goofiness

Discussion in 'General Education' started by minnie, Oct 3, 2017.

1. minnie

minnie Cohort

Oct 3, 2017

Sometimes during our language arts lesson, I do silly things that help keep the lesson engaging. I have a group of boys who cannot get over the silliness after we move on. They continue to giggle and giggle and they can't stop. Even after the others are ready to move on. Also, when we are doing a brain break or singing a song during circle time, they laugh so loud that we can't hear the song. I hate to be a nag and I want my students to be able to laugh and be silly sometimes, but these boys cannot shut it off. Is it just something they have to grow out of? I'm sick of always saying "Shhhh" to these boys.

3. Fun_Teacher

Fun_Teacher Companion

Oct 3, 2017

If this is a disruption to the learning environment, follow your discipline plan.
    It does take a couple minutes for all the laughing to cease, even after you are ready for the next task/part of your lesson. This is normal behavior. Students in high school do this!
    Verbal Warning
    Direct to hallway

minnie and Mshope2012 like this.
  4. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Oct 3, 2017

For me, if the class cannot handle the silliness, they get the "serious" me. This actually happened today with a student who could not stop laughing. We were actually reading a story about a serious topic. I gave him the look, stood by him, and then finally just told him to go sit in the hallway. As soon as he was removed, we were back on track. I did allow the kid back in after he filled in my "What's the Problem?" sheet. Zero issues with him after that.

I hate to have to be so strict with some classes. However, the truth is that some just can't handle much "lightness."

minnie and svassillion like this.
  5. minnie

minnie Cohort

Oct 3, 2017

Well I teach kindergarten which is why I am struggling with this. They are little and immature and I don't want to be a kindergarten teacher who doesn't want to be a little silly now and then. But I guess I have to be more strict this year. I just need to know the difference between letting small things go and when to put my foot down. Thank you for the replies.

6. rpan

rpan Comrade

Oct 4, 2017

When 'Shhhh' doesn't work, you need to follow through with other consequences. 'Shhh' becomes ineffective if you constantly use it to expect quiet but yet do nothing when your expectations aren't met. Put in place a system where when you expect the class to settle, you give an explicit signal like clap 3 times, and you wait. Give the class time to settle. Praise those who are quick to settle. If the goofy kids don't get the hint, then escalate to the next part of your behaviour plan.

bella84 and minnie like this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2017

You may have to tone down the silliness. I salute you for keeping things fun and engaging, but for this group it may be too much.

Alternatively, spend an hour practicing some ways to calm down. I wouldn't be too demanding and give a little time for giggles, but if it's more than a minute... yeah, those boys need a solution.

minnie likes this.
  8. minnie

minnie Cohort

Oct 4, 2017

Thank you. I agree that I have to tone it down this year! I'm not a complete jokester when I teach but sometimes they need a little fun pick me up to get them into the not so interesting concepts such as first, middle and last sound in CVC words. LOL.

Backroads likes this.
  9. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Oct 7, 2017

I had this same problem with two boys this week, only it was during read aloud and independent reading and not during a time that might ignite any silliness. After following my classroom behavior plan every day this week and continuing to have the same problem day after day, I finally when to the next step and wrote an office referral for repeated minor offenses. I've never seen them so on-task after receiving that news, and they hadn't even seen the principal yet.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Oct 7, 2017

Perhaps it is more about where you insert the silliness. Placed closer to a natural break in the activity may help a lot. Then there is a change in what is happening, a mind reset to help them shift gears. I do agree that many children at that age are immature, and boys tend to be a little worse. They don't read body language or social cues. Maybe this is a lesson in and of itself?