Great read (re: Classroom Libraries)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mathmagic, Aug 4, 2018.

1. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 4, 2018

This is great. Thanks for sharing.

Question: Based on so many of your posts, I think that you and I tend to share a philosophy more often than not. So, I'm curious... In your reading workshop, do you require your students to do any writing about their reading (book reviews, reading responses, etc.)? If so, what does this look like in your classroom? This is something that I want to change up this year in order to make it more meaningful and enjoyable for the kids and more manageable for me. I am looking to integrate technology as opposed to notebooks, but I'm open to all ideas. I'd love to hear what you do.

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2018

With their independent reading, there is nothing that is inherently required. I save that for all the curriculum-based work.

I encourage book commercials, and this year am going to try to get a journaling going back and forth between each kid and me (either once a week or every other week) where one topic I'll encourage is sharing about the book they're reading with me. However, I purposefully am avoiding putting any required "add-ons" to their IR.

bella84 likes this.
  5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 4, 2018

I love this. I have a huge library. It's definitely the highlight of my classroom's physical space, and I find as many ways as possible to get kids into it.

bella84 likes this.