Great Qualities of an Elementary Teacher

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by futureteacher13, Aug 30, 2014.

1. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Aug 30, 2014

Hi there,

I am looking to become an elementary school teacher, preferably for 4th or 5th grade. I would like to know what are the qualities to being a successful elementary school teacher?

I was an elementary school Paraprofessional for 7 months before being transferred to middle school as a Paraprofessional. I was a mentor with the HOSTS Mentoring Program from 2007-2009. I recently took the Florida Teacher Certification Exam for Elementary Education K-6 and pass 3 out of 4 sections. I will retake the one I missed in early November. My Bachelor's degree is in Social Science with Education Concentration. I am a team player, I communicate and work well with staff, and I give 100% to my students daily.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!! :)

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2014

Qualities:
    - patience
    - flexibility
    - creativity
    - sense of humour
    - willingness and eagerness to learn
    - resourcefulness
    - effective communicator--orally and in writing

Good luck!

4. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Aug 31, 2014

I have worked as a middle school paraprofessional for the past 5 years. I am very eager to learn about elementary education. Once I fully pass my certification exam, I will have a temporary certificate in EE K-6 in Florida. I will have to take two additional teacher certification courses: Classroom Management and Assessment & Evaluation. Do you think my 5 years of experience as a Paraprofessional will aid me in being an effective teacher?

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2014

It is a step in the right direction, but teaching is very different than being a para.

6. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Aug 31, 2014

It helps to be organized!! There will be times you will be dealing with 5-20 things at a time on top of 20-30+ children. :eek: