Great American Books

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Upsadaisy, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 10, 2018

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 10, 2018

Some lame ones on there! I voted for The Giver because I distinctly remember that book blowing my mind in 6th grade.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 11, 2018

Confused about so many books written by non-American authors. Also, confused at the exclusion of Huckleberry Finn, which remains my favorite book I read for school ever. I voted for To Kill a Mockingbird because it's my favorite book to teach. I would have voted for Ender's Game but it wasn't a choice.

5. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Sep 11, 2018

It's actually America's favorite books, not necessarily the best books, or American books. I am wondering how the base list was created, though, and I don't like that you can't add other choices, as far as I could tell!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 11, 2018

There are going to be several PBS episodes where they narrow down the 100 titles by themes and finally come up with the top pick. Right, ms.irene, it's just people's favorites that they voted for starting back in May, and anyone could vote.

ms.irene likes this.
  7. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Sep 11, 2018

That is a cool concept -- thanks for sharing! I might have my students vote.
    Some of the choices are less than inspiring (50 Shades of Grey??) but it's an interesting list, overall.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 11, 2018

I was shocked to see that one, too. Haha. No accounting for taste. My favorite, well there are many, is one that most people haven't heard of - A Prayer for Owen Meany.

ms.irene likes this.
  9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 11, 2018

Whenever my class finished a whole-class novel, the kids voted on a 5 point scale, averaged the score, and we posted the title and the average score on the wall. It helped remind them of what they had read and what they enjoyed. I would hear them talking about different titles at odd times. I also gave out little book charms (plastic) every time a student finished a book and wrote a short summary. They collected them and wore them on bracelets.

10. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Sep 11, 2018

What grade do you teach? Where did you get the book charms? I love that idea.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Sep 13, 2018

There's a Facebook page also and people discuss the books. It's really interesting to hear what people have to say!

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 13, 2018

This is part of why I love things like this. Huck Finn almost killed my love of reading in high school. I hated it with a burning passion I can't even explain and didn't read anything for months afterwards, yet it's many people's favorites. I love Catcher in The Rye, but one of my colleagues can't stand it.

Regardless, I voted for Harry Potter because I've been hooked on that series since I first read it as a kid. I reread the series every year now.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 13, 2018

I am retired now and just tutor, but I taught 3rd and 5th and middle school math over the years. I got the little charms from www.fitnessfinders.net . They originally started with awards for PE activities, but then added the book charms. They also sold the bracelets. All very inexpensive.