Gradebooks

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kaeco510, Sep 10, 2014.

1. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Sep 10, 2014

Ok so this is really embarrassing but.........

I am so lost when it comes to my gradebook! :dizzy: I have been spoiled in the past and have had access to online gradebooks, so I've never had to do it "old school" with pen and paper.

Does anyone have a system they use that works really well? I am admittedly not suuuuper strong in math. I can get by but I am not one to sit and fiddle with numbers lol

Anyone have any easy, successful ways to keep track?? Or know of any good programs online (free)?

Thanks so much - don't judge!! :eek:

3. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2014

Look at teachers pay teachers.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 10, 2014

I don't blame you. I would be completely lost as well if I had to do it on pen and paper.

Does it HAVE to be on pen and paper, or can you use your own digital spreadsheet?

My first year teaching they couldn't get me an account on the online gradebook so I used my own spreadsheet.

I have it uploaded as a gradebook template onto Google Docs Templates. The link is here: https://drive.google.com/previewtemplate?id=0ArfdLKjXoelydEpLYWF1QmZHQWhDclVlaF9JNkFFMFE&mode=public

Also if you can hack it, I developed a report template as well that allows students to check out their students grades in real time through Google Docs. But that's a bit more complex.
    https://drive.google.com/previewtemplate?id=0ArfdLKjXoelydF9xem9qU01hZ01Tb2I3LW1vMnNvVHc&mode=public

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2014

Engrade is free, easy to use and students can have access to their grades if you want them to.

Best part is that it will calculate your grades for you ... Which is good because I don't have time for that.

www.engrade.com

6. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Sep 10, 2014

I wouldn't even know where to begin with organizing a paper gradebook. It's definitely a dying art.

7. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Sep 10, 2014

When I had to prepare grades the "old fashioned" way, I used Excel on the computer. But, I'm not even sure Excel is on computers anymore. If I remember correctly, before Excel, I would add my total points and each students points weekly. I would then highlight this column. At the end of the nine weeks I would just add the highlighted numbers and average them. This way it wouldn't be too much at one time.

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 10, 2014

Microsoft Excel works just like a gradebook. (yes, brigidy Microsoft Excel still exists. although it has lost some popularity due to its high cost.) Google Docs has a free spreadsheet program. There are many free online gradebooks. I suggest trying one of these. I would never use pen and paper. I have used computers for grades for over 20 years--even at schools that didn't have the internet. It is the only way to go.

9. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

Sep 10, 2014

I have also used Engrade with success. It's not as fully-featured as systems such as PowerSchool, but it does the job relatively well for a free system.

10. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Sep 12, 2014

Thank you all so much!! I appreciate all of your input. I am going to play around with engrade and see how I like that. I am not very excel-savvy, but I am sure I can find someone to show me if I end up using that.

Peregrin, thank you for the template!!

You guys are the best :)

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 18, 2014

I second using engrade! I've been using it for the last 6 school years and only stopped this year because my school has an online gradebook they want all of us to use now. :( So I'm bummed... but I don't want to set up and deal with 2. Engrade's a great site :thumb: