Gotta Say Bye to Kitty

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Mable, Aug 6, 2008.

1. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 7, 2008

We had to put our 1st sheltie down after she got cancer. We made the decision after my, then 3 yr. old daughter, went to let the dog in & she didn't come in. It was awful. We'd had her about 7 yrs. Another pup from the same litter also had cancer.

We got a 2nd sheltie several months later. He would have strokes, walk like he was drunk & then come out of it. He didn't come out of the last one. We also put him down. That was on a Wednesday.

The following Saturday, I came home with a 4 wk. old puppy. We found out the following Wednesday that she had parvo. She had a 50/50 chance of making it. I couldn't put down 2 dogs in 1 week. Just couldn't do it. She made it.

2 1/2 yrs. later she is the biggest baby ever. She's my baby. It's going to be very hard when the time comes and we all know that with pets the time will come.

2. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2008

I thought I needed to add that the vet said the cancer my cat got (it was in her hind leg) was caused by her vaccination she received as a kitten. He said that it has been found that animals that got their vaccination in that spot develop cancer. Now, they do the vaccination elsewhere.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 7, 2008

^ Oh no, that's scary knowing that! My vet gives my dog his shots on the back/neck area.

4. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2008

Mable, I'm so sorry for you.
    Last October 29th I lost the love of my life, my dog Sparky. He was my child, my spouse, my companion, my comforter. 10 months later, the hurt and emptiness is so very raw still. I could cry as I typed his name.
    It got slightly easier as I went through 'firsts' without him. The first grocery day without him, because he would follow me in and out as I unloaded, the first Christmas, the first 4th of July parade past our house, because he would bark through the whole hour!
    The hardest part was right after he died.I thought the urge to hug him and kiss is head would tear me up. I'd hear another dog bark and think it was him and turn to look. I'd hear tinkling- the ceiling fan chain- and think it was the metal loop on his collar. I only just recently stopped calling downstairs to tell him goodnight . I still have his ball right here on my desk, and his leash is still hanging in the laundry room, ready for when he needs to go out, lol.
    A girl can pretend, can't she?
    I wish you well, Mable.

5. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Aug 8, 2008

I, too, have struggled with this issue. My cat (I've had her 15 years, but she's older than that) is deteriorating. I think she is deaf, and has trouble walking. She cries a lot. BUT, she is eating and 'going'...so at what point do you make that decision? I am still in the 'denial/selfish' phase and can't seem to let go of her yet. It is truly a difficult thing to go through.

You are in my thoughts...:hugs: