Got a new job!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mr.history, May 17, 2017.

1. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

May 17, 2017

Ok so this has been a long process for me this year, but I finally got a new job! Even better is that I got a GREAT new job. I've told my story here before but about 4 years ago I moved to a very rural part of my state that was about 4 hours away from where I grew up. The job market was tough and it was my only shot to get in the classroom. This year I decided that if I was going to try and move home this was going to be my last shot as my wife and I were looking to buy a house and possibly start having kids. So I applied to a bunch of schools and I had quite a few interviews (8) but none of them seemed like me and the interviewers clicked until the one I did on Monday. I had a great interview where the principal and I spoke for about an hour and a half and then they walked me around the school and let me meet a few teachers.

Today I was just offered a job at what many people would call their "dream school". It is a middle school in a very affluent area. They have a great principal, awesome facilities, and all of their test scores are phenomenal. I will even make quite a bit more money (about 7-8k) just by switching districts! I will be moving from teaching high school AP US History to middle school US History (but its still gifted classes). I'm just so over the moon at the moment I don't even know what to think! My wife has already started packing!

The most surreal thing about it to me is that I got turned down at schools that were no where near the caliber of this one just a few weeks ago. Guess I finally had an ounce of luck on that one because this school is exactly where I wanted to move and its an overall better environment. If you still looking and you have been turned down, keep your head up because you never know what is right around the corner!

3. rpan

rpan Companion

May 18, 2017

Congratulations! When one door closes, another opens :)

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 18, 2017

Great news! Congratulations. I hope it is a wonderful year.

5. Nab

Nab Companion

May 18, 2017

Congratulations! Have a great year!

6. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Comrade

May 20, 2017

Congratulations! I hope I am as lucky as you and get a new job this year! Good luck!

7. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

May 21, 2017 at 3:26 PM

Thanks everyone, its been a crazy couple of days since this post. I'm packing my apartment because I have to be out June 2nd. I'm still grading tons of papers because its the end of the semester (high school) and I had to resign which my principal while civil wasn't thrilled about. I haven't been this stressed out in a long time, but I know in about two weeks it will all be alright and for the better.

8. K6TEACHER19

K6TEACHER19 Rookie

May 22, 2017 at 11:52 PM

Congratulations