Google Classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Rabbitt, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2016

For the first time, my students and I will have access to Google Classroom.
    I plan to spend time watching Youtube videos on it.
    I'd love to hear how you use it...especially grade 2.
    Or is it more efficient for older levels?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2016

I used Google Classroom last year for the first time (I teach Grade 7). I love it--it has helped so much with keeping things organized. I'm headed out the door now, but will come back later and give you some ideas of how I used it. In addition to Youtube videos, check out Alice Keeler's blog--she has amazing ideas, hints and tips!

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2016

Will do...thanks.

5. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Aug 9, 2016

I wouldn't mind some added input on this as I'm also teaching 2nd and will have access to google drive. I hope to use it in the classroom for reading response letters but I'm not sure how useful it will be outside the classroom since I'm in a high-poverty area and families may not all have access to internet/technology...

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2016

Sorry I didn't get back to this...here are some quick ideas (keep in mind that my experience with the little guys is limited). What I like best about Classroom is that everything is in one place. In my Google Drive, everything the students submit is in my Classroom folder; in the student drives, everything is in their Classroom folder in their Drive.

- post a question and have all students respond
    - post links to websites you'd like students to visit--math games, research site, etc.
    - create an assignment and have students hand it in to you on Classroom
    - use Google forms to create a short survey or a one or two question formative assessment and link on Classroom.

Secondary Teach and miss-m like this.
  7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2016

Thank you. That is how I see it working for me. One question about links...For sites that we use often, is it easiest to have links on a Google Site or in Google Classroom?

wo

8. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 10, 2016

I use google classroom to push out links I want the students to use, if it is a site that we will use throughout the year, I will have the students bookmark it.

MrsC likes this.
  9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2016

Unfortunately our bookmarks clear weekly.

10. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 10, 2016

In that case I think I would make an assignment google classroom that contains all of the links used frequently and have the students access the sites from there. I would then keep that assignement at the top of the page. ahead of all other assignments throughout the year.

11. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2016

Sounds like a plan. I will have to toy with keeping it at the top of the page. Thanks.

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 11, 2016

On Google Classroom you have an "About" page for your class that allows you to link to commonly used resources and documents. Just put it there, and students can access it by just clicking the "About" button.

MrsC likes this.
  13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 11, 2016

We are getting Classroom this year for our system. Will be interesting to see how it all works.

14. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2016

FANTASTIC!

15. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Aug 12, 2016

I hope your second graders are very tech savy, I think it's really more for upper grades. GC is really just a stream of posts and assignments. It's mostly for collecting work, and does a great job. There are a lot of fun things you can do with it like make a template of a project and then copy to everyone for them to work in, plus it addends their name to it. They can collaborate on projects there as well. I did have a problem (for our district anyways) of putting YouTube videos on the stream but then they couldn't open it on their iPads. (Apple and Google aren't friendly sometimes)

16. vincischool

vincischool Rookie

Jan 2, 2017

The classroom is only available for Google Apps for Education users at this time. Google classrooms are really helpful for kids. There are various fun activities we can do with it such as watching youtube videos.