good short stories

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Budaka, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Aug 5, 2008

Anyone have some reccommendations for short stories for 7th/8th graders? I am especially looking for stories with vivid description or a surprise ending. Thanks!

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2008

The Veldt by Ray Bradbury is a great story. My kids really enjoyed it.
    The Ransom of Red Chief by O.Henry is also a fun one to use with kids.

4. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

Here's a good site for you:

www.americanliterature.com

I especially enjoy Shirley Jackson- and she's perfect for 7th grade-also The Open Window by O Henry.

5. carlea

carlea Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

The Monkey's Paw
    All Summer in a Day
    The Landlady
    The Tell-Tale Heart

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2008

Leaf Storm and Other Stories by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It's in Spanish, but I'm sure you can find some good English translations.

One story, I think it's called The Last Voyage of the Ghost Ship, is actually just a single, very long sentence. It's neat to show kids and see how long it takes to figure that one out.

7. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Aug 5, 2008

Thanks for the ideas. I did Tell tale heart with my students, but found the vocabulary to be too difficult. I just don't have a lot of time to prep them because I don't teach reading in my class-it is writing only. But it is really difficult not to show them examples of good writing!

I love the story un dia de estos by Marquez but I have never found a good English translation. I could do it myself I guess! I found the Leaf storm to be very heavy reading in Spanish but I read it a long time ago! I am sure it is worth revisiting.

I am going to try to find the one sentence story Cassie. I think they would love it.
    Cassie- I am also adding etmology to my English classes this year-especially Latin and Greek roots. I think it will be so useful to them!
    I use to teach at a high school that had an amazing Latin program. I think they had over 150 students enrolled in Latin and they were very active in the JPL.
    I do miss having other foreign language teachers around! :(