Good read aloud novel?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by 100%Canadian, Sep 5, 2007.

1. roamer

roamer Companion

Dec 14, 2007

The teacher I worked with when I was student teaching was reading "The Old Willis Place" to the kids when I started with them. I missed the first part of the book, but caught the end. The kids loved it. Mystery...ghost story...it was a good read.

2. Madee

Madee Rookie

Dec 25, 2007

3. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Dec 27, 2007

I'm going to read "Nightmare Mountain" by Peg Kehret to my class when we get back from break. It's an adventure/mystery book. My teacher read it to my class when I was in 4th grade, and of all the read-alouds from elementary school, that book always stuck with me for some reason. It's a little longer than you wanted, 164 pages, but it's fast-paced.

4. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Dec 27, 2007

My grade listed our class novels in our blog, with reviews. There were two we started and didn't finish because we didn't like them: A Wrinkle in Time was one and I forget the other. Next year I plan on reading Holes, How to Live Forever (novel and picture story book) and the Red King.

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2008

One week? So many choices. How about the classic "Stone Fox"? Good suspense, surprise ending, have a box of tissue handy, nice for having kids rewrite the ending, or write a sequel...

("Willy whipped out his cell phone and called 911. Meanwhile, Doc ran up and started artificial resusitation....")

("Willy was near exhaustion when he finally got back home. As he climbed his front steps he heard a strange noise coming from under the porch. What was it? Suddenly a little black furry face popped out from between the steps! It was a puppy! And it looked just like Searchlight! Wow, I guess Searchlight had been a girl!")

6. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2008

Sorry, I wasn't quoting from the book. I was quoting from some of the rewrite ideas students have written.

And, by the way, when you all suggest these books, I end up spending a fortune at Amazon!

I just read "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" and couldn't stop laughing. It's not a read aloud, though. But I'll give it to my reluctant reader.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 1, 2008

My class pretty much cleaned out the supply of Diary of a Whimpy Kid at the school book fair. It is absolutely hilarious, because we can see the truth in it. We've all been there or know someone who has!

8. sterlingsilver

sterlingsilver New Member

Jan 2, 2008

Ditto on Frindle! Great story, quick reading.

9. kkrosesmom

kkrosesmom Rookie

Jan 3, 2008

I agree with Frindle! The kids loved it and it is fast. If you
    have more time my students loved The Tale of Despereaux
    by Kate DiCamillo.

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 3, 2008

I started reading Jennifer Murdley's Toad today. The kids are loving it. Bruce Coville is a favorite I have found over the years. He's not new so his books tend to get overlooked by the kids though so I have to reintroduce him every couple of years.

11. Eneli

Eneli Rookie

Jan 3, 2008

My students love Frindle and I gave it to my cousin as a present and he read it in three nights. I now gave him another one in the series. I just finished reading Off and Running by Gary Soto with my on level guided reading students and they loved it. When we return from winter break, I am going to start There's a Girl in the Boys Lockeroom as a read aloud. My students also loved My Teacher is an Alien (a silly science fiction book). It kept them at the edge of their seats all the time. Last year my students enjoyed Sixth Grade Can Reallly Kill You. I teach fifth graders and I read it right when we start the middle school transfer paperwork. I enjoy seeing their faces when I read the title for the first time. I have also read Help, I'm a Prisoner in the Library to my students. My last suggestion is not on the fifth grade level, but as a Dr. Seuss Fan, I can't help but suggest Hooray for Diffendoofer Day! I always read it the day before our big FCAT test. It helps settle the anxiety! Hope these suggestions help!